Senior Control Systems Engineer
Cleveland-Cliffs is the largest flat-rolled steel company and the largest iron ore pellet producer in North America. The company is vertically integrated from mining through iron making, steelmaking, rolling, finishing and downstream with hot and cold stamping of steel parts and components. Cleveland-Cliffs Minorca Mine, near Virginia, MN, is one of the company’s leading sources of iron ore – a major raw material required in the manufacture of steel. Each year, Minorca produces about 2.8 million tons of fluxed iron-bearing pellets, and mines about 18 million tons of ore, rock and waste material, called overburden. The pellets are then shipped to Cleveland-Cliffs Indiana Harbor, North America’s largest integrated steelmaking complex located in East Chicago, Ind., about 20 minutes southeast of Chicago. There, the pellets are charged into Indiana Harbor’s massive No. 7 Blast Furnace – the largest iron producer in the Western Hemisphere, capable of producing more than 12,500 tons of molten iron a day. Minorca supplies about 50 percent of No. 7 Blast Furnace’s pelletized iron requirements.
For more information, please visit www.clevelandcliffs.com
As a Senior Control Systems Engineer at Cleveland-Cliffs, your contributions will be visible all around you; the work we do here impacts people for generations to come. Ideal candidates enjoy modern, dynamic, supportive work environments and are looking for the freedom to take control of their career. The Senior Control Systems Engineer will provide control system engineering and programming services for new and existing equipment in the facility.
- Integration of process, mechanical, electrical and control requirements into a comprehensive functional system.
- Provide technical and troubleshooting support to operations to improve safety, environmental compliance, and productivity.
- Administration, design, configuration, and implementation of Human Machine Interface in server and client side software. ( GE Cimplicity preferred).
- Troubleshooting of hardware, software, communication, and device issues within the control system.
- Administration and design of connectivity mediums (Fiber, Ethernet IP, ControlNet, DeviceNet, ProfiBus, Modbus, Remote I/O and serial).
- Applicants should hold a bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering or computer engineering or equivalent experience.
- 3+ years of experience in a heavy industrial environment.
- Working knowledge of control systems to develop process and instrumentation diagrams (P&IDs), size and specify control valves, specify instrumentation, understand and create logic, schematic and wiring diagrams.
- Knowledge, experience, and implementation of Virtual Computing. (VMWare preferred).
- Knowledge, experience, and implementation of Microsoft Server, Microsoft SQL Server, and Microsoft OS.
- Knowledgeable in hardware architecture of modern and legacy control systems.
- Knowledge and experience in systems networking.
- Strong troubleshooting and design skills for PLCs.
- Use of Microsoft Office suite with a particular focus on Outlook, Excel, and Word
Applicants for this position must be currently legally authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis. The company generally does not sponsor candidates for temporary visas or permanent residency for this position.
Cleveland-Cliffs Inc. is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to or call
- Professional Engineer.
- Previous work experience in a mining or a mineral processing operation.
1-(312) 899-3097 and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Do not email your application materials to this email address. Application materials sent to this email address will not be considered.
As a company, we are doing what we can to keep all our employees safe and healthy. It is the current expectation that ALL Cleveland-Cliffs employees will be vaccinated against COVID-19 as soon as possible. Before accepting an offer of employment you must certify that you are fully vaccinated. Cleveland-Cliffs reserves the right to require proof of vaccination.
Cleveland-Cliffs Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, military or veteran status, disability, sex (including sexual orientation and gender identity), genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law. The following links provide information regarding your Equal Employment Opportunity rights and protections: [ Link removed ] and [ Link removed ] . We are a drug-free workplace and conduct pre-employment screening as a condition of employment.
- Computer Architectures
- Computer Engineering
- Control Systems
- Control Net
- Electrical Diagrams