At Thompson Turner Construction, our internships provide a meaningful, hands-on field experience to prepare you for a career in the construction industry. Interns are assigned to a job site and work to build their skills around construction management and the various business needs of the project. They work hand in hand with their Project Manager as well as their mentor to build the industry knowledge and leadership skills needed to make immediate impact upon workforce entry. Join us this summer and realize your potential!
Interns are responsible for monitoring activities at their assigned construction sites. Inspects construction site daily and works with vendors to schedule deliveries/ensures that materials are delivered on time. Responsible for reviewing specifications or drawings and ensuring that construction progresses as scheduled and contract specifications are adhered to. Works to ensure that all state, federal and industry codes or specifications are followed. Also reports to management any deviations and works on corrections. Works in a safe and timely manner with the best quality possible.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Work closely with the Project Management personnel to ensure we are meeting the job specifications
- Review data to determine material type and size then prepare itemized lists
- Purchase, expedite and receive permanent material to ensure proper quantity and quality are received
- Perform material take offs and ensure proper quantity is ordered in a timely manner to meet the job deadlines
- Review inventory parts received for correct specifications
- Resolve any problems with parts that are not correct or have been shipped out of sequence
- Analyze blueprints, specifications, proposals, and other documentation to prepare for construction bids or installations
- Compute cost factors and prepare estimates used for management purposes, such as planning, organizing, and scheduling work, preparing bids, selecting vendors or subcontractors, and determining cost effectiveness
- Ensure that assembly and installation is correct and to specifications
- Consult with clients, vendors, or other individuals to discuss and formulate estimates for change orders and resolve any issues.
- Generate new drawings on-site for change orders or modifications
- Other duties as assigned
- Pursuing an Engineering (Civil, Mechanical, Electrical) or Construction Management (CSM) degree
- Must have good communication skills, verbal and written, with all levels from client, management to workers and subs
- Must have good computer skills (experience with Primavera and Expedition are a plus)
- Must be able to read, write and communicate clearly with supervisor/co-workers/clients/vendors and take direction from site manager
- Must be able to utilize math at the college level and read/operate precision measuring equipment
- Ability to read and interpret blueprints, operating and maintenance instructions, shop drawings, procedure manuals and safety rules
- Candidate will be required to pass a drug test and criminal background check
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, age, genetic information, or any other criteria protected by federal, state or local law.
- Business Requirements
- Construction Engineering
- Construction Management