- High school diploma or possession of a general equivalency diploma (GED)
May be advanced to the next grade level provided he/she has taken and passed any required written or practical tests, acquired any required certifications and has met acceptable fitness for duty, work record and job performance requirements.
- Level SP1
- Must be at least 21 years old on date of appointment. This is the entry level.
- Level SP2
- Must have performed satisfactorily the duties of a Special Police Officer I, or related field for a period not less than two (2) years.
- Level SP3
- Must have performed satisfactorily the duties of a Special Police Officer I & II, or related field for a period not less than five (5) years.
- Possession of a valid driver’s license issued by the state of residency
Satisfactorily complete the medical examination for this position, if required. The incumbent must be able to perform the essential functions of this position either with or without reasonable accommodations.
The Special Police Officer position is responsible for performing police safety and security work. The incumbent will be responsible for security and control of the assigned areas and the enforcement of the Authority’s regulations. Work is performed with some independence in accordance with established policies and procedures, supplemented by periodic instruction and meeting. The employee performs routine work for the Authority. The duties are performed during varying shifts as required. Supervision will be from the shift supervisor assigned.
Job Levels: At each successive grade level of this job (i.e. 8731 SP1, 8732 SP2, and 8733 SP3) the incumbent is expected to demonstrate increased, distinguishing levels of proficiency and efficiency in knowledge, skills and abilities when performing the assigned duties and essential functions described in this job description
- Provides protection of the Authority’s personnel and property to prevent vandalism.
- Patrols on foot or using a vehicle to detect, investigate, and report situations which differ from normal such as open doors, broken windows, power failures, fires, or safety hazards.
- Assures that only authorized persons enter the Authority’s property.
- Maintains radio/telephone contact with the Authority’s Police Headquarters and Local Police Headquarters, if appropriate.
- Directs traffic on Authority property.
- Warns persons of rule infractions or violations, and apprehends or evicts violators from premises, using force when necessary.
- Operates detecting devices to screen individuals and prevent passage of prohibited articles into restricted areas.
- Inspects and adjusts security systems, equipment, and machinery to ensure operational use and to detect evidence tampering.
- Prepares report of daily activities to include any irregularities. Maintains the building/area security log, equipment or property damage, theft, presence of unauthorized persons, and/or other unusual occurrences.
- Utilizes watch tour equipment such as radio, and Oleoresin Capsicum (OC) spray as required.
The essential duties listed are not intended to limit specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Nor is it intended to limit in any way the right of managers and supervisors to assign, direct and control the work of employees under their supervision.
Consideration will be given to applicants whose resumes demonstrate the required education and experience. Applicants should include all relevant education and work experience.
Evaluation criteria may include one or more of the following:
- Personal Interview
- Skills Assessments
- Verification of education and experience
- Criminal Background Check
- Credit history report for positions with fiduciary responsibilities
- Successful completion of a medical examination including a drug and alcohol screening
- Review of a current Motor Vehicle Report
Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority, a Federal contractor, is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, gender, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, physical or mental disability, or status as a protected veteran, or any other status protected by applicable federal law, except where a bona fide occupational qualification exists. Our hiring process is designed to be accessible and free from discrimination.
This posting is an announcement of a vacant position under recruitment. It is not intended to replace the official job description. Job Descriptions are available upon confirmation of an interview.