Government Affairs Specialist
Status: Exempt (salaried)
Department: Government Affairs
Reports to: Vice President of Public Affairs
A motivated and proactive professional with experience interfacing with local, state, and/or federal government and strong knowledge base of legislative and political mechanisms to serve as Government Affairs Specialist to support Plug's growing government affairs needs. The Government Affairs Specialist will work directly with Plug's Executive Vice President and General Counsel and Vice President of Public Affairs on all aspects of legislative, political, regulatory, and government affairs matters arising from Plug's business and the global expansion of its products and services. This individual will work closely with the legal, marketing and communications, and technology departments. Individual will need to assist in coordinating outside lobbying firms, state, federal, and international liaisons and consultants, and political representatives. This individual must be self-motivated, able to handle multiple competing priorities at once and ascertain from objectives what needs to be accomplished, and willing to adapt within a dynamic and rapidly growing energy company.
Core Duties and Responsibilities
* Assist the EVP and General Counsel, Vice President of Public Affairs, and Lead Government Affairs Counsel on all aspects of operating Plug's state and federal, domestic, and international government affairs.
* Assist Senior Legal & Government Affairs Specialist on maintaining political tracking sheet and state fact sheets.
* Research, track, analyze, and communicate current and proposed state, federal, and international legislation, regulations, and policies relevant to Company priorities.
* Attending hearings, webinars, and other events held by local, state, and federal legislative bodies or agencies to track and communicate updates to the government affairs team and other colleagues.
* Attend community outreach events.
* Research, track, analyze, and communicate state, federal, and international funding opportunities for research, development, deployment, and commercialization opportunities.
* Draft point papers, policy briefings, presentations, and other materials related to government relations.
* Coordinate with industry organizations and participate in advocacy groups to best represent the Company's needs with policymakers and best position the Company for continued growth. This includes attending meetings, taking notes, and coordinating with colleagues in the Company.
* Assist with federal and state government relations efforts to, among other things, advocate for policies and incentives relevant to the Company.
* Support Company PAC including fielding political funding requests and maintaining records of PAC account payments; tracking annual FEC deadlines and ensuring timely filings in conjunction with Finance Department; and assisting as needed with coordinating any fundraising endeavors.
* Set up, track, and attend meetings advocating before government officials, policy makers, and their staff.
* Provide administrative, travel and expense, and scheduling support to Government Affairs Team including Vice President of Public Affairs and Lead Government Affairs Counsel.
* Ensure work product of the highest quality that furthers Plug's strategic goals.
* Represent Plug in a professional manner at all times and in all interactions.
* Perform all other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
* Bachelor's degree in related field of study.
* Experience in a state, federal or local government, or law firm, or legal department of a publicly traded corporation, or within the energy sector, or a combination thereof.
* Experience working directly with government officials and staff.
* Strong knowledge of energy and technology policy with the ability to read and analyze legislative language.
* Must be a self-starting, motivated, assertive, and creative individual with excellent follow-through capabilities.
* Demonstrated analytical abilities with strong attention to detail.
* Superior communication skills.
* Proficient with Microsoft Office software including highly developed skills within Excel and Power Point.
* Ability to manage projects and multi-task effectively.
* Ability to role model high standards of professionalism.
* Must possess the highest ethical standards and a supreme commitment to quality.
Plug Power Inc. is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
- Attention To Detail