Performs a variety of duties that related to the daily operations of Human Milk/Feeding room. These include and are not limited to the preparation and delivery of fresh/frozen mom's own human milk, donor human milk and infant/pediatric formulas according to physician orders and accurate recipes utilizing metric weights and measures. This includes transfer of information concerning patient formula orders via electronic medical record and feeding management technologies required to safely deliver infant/human milk feedings.
Techniques must adhere to all food safety/sanitation regulations and standards established by the hospital and regulatory agencies. The technician is responsible for safe and effective operation and cleaning of equipment needed to prepare infant/pediatric feedings and maintain sanitation in the milk preparation room. Processes human milk/formula orders and maintains temperature records. Performs required quality assurance monitoring activities along with inventory activities.
Performs a variety of tasks that relate to the preparation and delivery of human milk and infant/pediatric formulas and transfer of written and electronic information concerning patient formula orders. Techniques must adhere to all food safety/sanitation regulations and standards established by the hospital and regulatory agencies. The technician is responsible for safe and effective operation of equipment needed to prepare infant/pediatric feedings and maintain sanitation in the preparation room. Processes human milk/formula orders and maintains temperature records. Performs required quality assurance monitoring activities.
Position Specific Role Responsibilities
Safely and accurately prepares and delivers properly labeled human milk feedings to hospitalized patients within regulatory guidelines utilizing specialized equipment such as: gram scale, liquid measures, and centrifuge.
Communicates with nutrition, lactation and nursing staff along with mothers who are dropping off, storing, and/or picking up expressed human milk to ensure proper labeling and storing of expressed human milk.
Communicates with nurses, lactation consultants, formula technicians, co-workers and parents to receive and clarify daily diet orders and ensures accurate preparation and labeling of human milk feedings.
Completes necessary paperwork for accurate quantities of expressed human milk and fortifiers to be used for preparation, inventory, billing and tracking.
Maintain daily inventory of expressed human milk and needed supplies. Places inventory orders to maintain adequate PAR levels of donor milk, fortifiers and supplies. Puts away orders when received, rotates inventory and disposes of expired inventory.
Cleans and sanitizes work area and equipment using approved technique.
May cross train for coverage of Infant Formulary team.
High School Diploma, GED, or a higher level of education that would require the completion of high school, is required. Strong Math and computer skills required, including successful passing of math proficiency pre-testing related to milk feeding orders. Ability to comprehend simple medical terminology.
* Associates' Degree in an applied science or health care preferred with 6 to 12 months of clinical experience or a certification in Dietetic Technology from an Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics approved dietetic program. One-year experience working in medical field, pediatric population preferred. Registered Dietetic Technician by the Commission on Dietetic Registration preferred. Demonstrated effective clinical customer service experience preferred, such as: CNA experience, Med-Tech experience, pharmacy tech experience, Food Handler's permit.
* Maintains friendly attitude towards customers (internal and external) and co-workers.
* Prepares, portions, delivers patient feedings per recipe or Registered Dietitian (RD) Nutritionist (RDN) instruction.
* Maintains patient feeding orders via computer system and accurately prepares feeding orders which are not available as a ready-to-feed formula.
* Transcribes feeding order information to prepared feeding labels.
* Reports discrepancies in feeding orders to manager or RDN.
* Communicates with supervisor, patient care areas and RDNs regarding problems with feeding orders, human milk/formula storage, or administration.
* Complies with daily records and updates computerized patient profiles regarding infant/pediatric feeding orders including allergy information.
* Follows processes, as established, for quality assurance monitors.
* Sets up assigned workstation.
* Maintains an adequate inventory of Feeding Preparation Room supplies.
* Unpacks, labels, and stores fortifiers, formula, and supplies in their designated storage area. Rotates supplies using first-in, first-out (FIFO) method.
* Covers, labels, and dates formula requiring refrigeration according to formula room policy.
* Maintains a sanitary and safe environment by following departmental and infection prevention policies. Reports unsafe conditions and accidents to manager.
* Uses correct technique to measure solids and liquids.
* Maintains a clean and orderly workspace, ensuring that department standards are met and that all sanitary activities are conducted in accordance with federal, state and local health regulations.
* Maintains clean equipment and cleans small wares in dishwasher. Records dish machine temperatures per procedure.
* Records refrigerator and freezer temperatures on appropriate log daily in designated pantries and work areas.
* Removes damaged formula cans and outdated formula stock from inventory and disposes per facility guidelines.
* Adheres to Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point (HACCP) guidelines. Maintains temperature logs of prepared feedings for quality assurance.
* Adheres to uniform policy established in area. No artificial nails are allowed. Nails must be kept short, clean, and unpolished.
* Assists in training other employees in feeding preparation and proper handling techniques as needed.
* Attends mandatory meetings and in-service education programs as scheduled by the department and/or facility.
* Treats all information and data within the scope of the position with appropriate confidentiality and security. Complies with Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPPA) regulations.
* Adheres to all established systems and training programs to provide a safe working environment. Complies with all Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) regulations and other local, state and federal regulations.
* Recognizes and adopts activities appropriate to the specific needs of the patient population and demonstrates knowledge of specific issues directly related to age of patient population.
* Maintains compliance with standards of operation. Maintains all records and reports necessary to comply with government and accrediting agency standards, regulations, and codes.
* Maintains compliance with all requirements of federal, state and local regulations and guidelines including the Civil Rights Act of 1964, as amended, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967, as amended, and the Americans with Disabilities Act, as amended.
* Performs additional duties as assigned, including training of newly hired into this position.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Occupational Safety And Health
Hazard Analysis And Critical Control Points