* Under general supervision, plans, coordinates and directs the actions of the security staff and oversees security, custody, and control of inmates in assigned units(s) of a medium/maximum security facility.
* Assumes primary responsibility for security for all buildings and public property.
* Makes routine checks of the unit(s) to ensure subordinate staff are performing their duties properly and safely, and that cleanliness and OSHA standards are maintained.
* Assists with all inmate counts for accuracy.
* Investigates complaints and violations; arbitrates disputes among inmate population and correctional staff.
Must successfully complete eight (8) week SCDC Basic Training upon hire.
Questions regarding the application process, this job posting or any other postings with the SCDC should be directed to:
Recruiting and Employment Services
[ Email address blocked ] - Click here to apply to Lieutenant (#011602) Lee Correctional Institution, Bishopville (LEE) Level 3
Minimum and Additional Requirements
State of South Carolina Minimum Requirements:
A high school diploma and supervisory experience in Correctional, Security or Police work.
State of South Carolina Minimum Requirements: (Or an acceptable equivalency as approved by the Division of State Human Resources).
* Three (3) years of experience in correctional, security, military, or police work.
* One (1) year of supervisory experience.
Must be certified by the South Carolina Department of Corrections Training Academy and successfully complete the Basic Supervisory Course within six (6) months of entry into the position.
The South Carolina Department of Corrections is committed to providing equal opportunities to all applicants and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, age (40 or older), disability or genetic information.
Supplemental questions are considered part of your official application. Any misrepresentation will result in your disqualification from employment. Please complete the state application to include all current and previous work history and education.
- Human Resources
- Community Property