>Silgan Containers the leader in the metal food packaging industry is seeking experienced professional production supervisors to join our team. Joining our team of professionals provides growth opportunities and a comprehensive compensation and benefits package in a stable company and industry.
- Production Supervisors are required to successfully complete 3-6 months of technical training provided by Silgan Containers. This will include writing reports and discussions with plant management to ascertain an understanding of can/end manufacturing processes and equipment.
- Production Supervisors work in our high-speed, state of the art manufacturing facility. This position will be required to work rotating shifts, including weekends.
- The Production Supervisor will lead and direct hourly employees with day-to-day instructions to meet production goals and line efficiencies.
- Utilize lean manufacturing and 5S principles to improve the manufacturing process.
- Supervising in a work team environment challenging the hourly workforce to move toward self-directed work teams.
- Effective communication skills are essential in both a written and verbal format.
- Focus on Safety and Quality in all aspects of the manufacturing process.
- Further advancement opportunities depend on individual leadership, management ability and the capacity to assume greater responsibility.
Essential Job Functions:
Required to learn, understand, and positively impact the five Key Plant Control Factors of Safety, Quality, Standard Operating Procedures, Employee Relations, and Continuous Improvement.
1. Safety – Train/enforce on safety procedures/rules. Active involvement in employee safety,
equipment guarding and ensuring overall safe workplace
2. Quality – Apply SPC principles and basic quality tools (i.e., diagrams, flow/run/control charts,
3. Standard Operating Procedures – Understand, use, and train employees on SOP’s. Must
have the ability to lead manufacturing unit through use of SOP’s.
4. Employee Relations – Must have effective communication skills that enable the ability to
direct/assign work assignments in compliance with the collective bargaining agreement and
cultivate a positive work environment. Supervisors are expected to develop and mentor
5. Continuous Improvement – Foster an environment conducive to achieving continuous
improvement/lean objectives. Must have ability to operate in a lean manufacturing
environment utilizing 5S and other continuous improvement tools.
Essential Job Requirements:
- Must have a minimum of a High School or equivalent education.
- Trade School and/or education beyond High School is a plus.
- Skilled trades experience (machinist, mechanic, millwright, tool and die, electrician) or engineering experience is highly desirable.
- Seeking individuals with mechanical and technical skills/aptitude.
- 1-3 years’ experience in a production supervisory capacity desirable.
- Must have strong communication skills, ability to effectively influence others,
- Strong Leadership skills with ability to develop others.
- Performance management.
- Statistical knowledge.
- Computer skills – ability to use Microsoft Office Suite.
- Visual mechanics (blue prints and descriptions).
- Experience working in a Union environment and familiar with grievance process.
- Individuals must be able to work different shifts, weekends, and overtime
- Limited travel required from time to time
- Must be physically capable of walking, standing, lifting, flexing, bending, and climbing as necessary to carry out responsibilities
- Individuals will spend much of the day (85% +) on the production floor – this is not a sit behind the desk position
- Work environment contains heat, cold, dust, noise, chemicals, and high-speed manufacturing equipment
LIMITATIONS AND DISCLAIMER
The above job description is meant to describe the general nature and level of work being performed; it is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required for the position.
All job requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health and safety of themselves or other employees.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform other job-related duties requested by their supervisor in compliance with Federal and State Laws.
Requirements are representative of minimum levels of knowledge, skills and/or abilities. To perform this job successfully, the employee must possess the abilities or aptitudes to perform each duty proficiently. Continued employment remains on an “at-will” basis.
Silgan is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, or the presence of a disability, which would not prevent the performance of essential job duties with, or without reasonable accommodation of any other protective status.
Silgan is a drug-free workplace.
- Lean Manufacturing
- Industrial Relations
- State Laws
- Performance Management
- Manufacturing Processes