Requisition ID # 79584
Job Category : Maintenance / Construction / Operations
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Business Unit: Electric Operations
The men and women of Electric Operations ensure the delivery of safe and reliable electric service to our customers.
Electric Operations is responsible for every aspect of PG&E's electric distribution and transmission operations, including
planning, engineering, maintenance and construction, asset management, business planning, restoration and
This classification is represented by the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers (IBEW) local 1245, which has
over 100 years of experience representing employees at PG&E. This job is subject to collective bargaining.
This position may be subject to Joint Apprentice Training Committee (JATC) review and approval. Provisional hires will
be required to participate in targeted training to achieve journey-level knowledge of electrician roles and responsibilities.
This is an above-entry level position responsible for building substations, which includes installing high voltage
equipment, metering and monitoring equipment and control and protection systems.
Work may be outdoors and in varying weather conditions. The individual must be able to drive safely, work extended
hours; travel/transfer to new headquarter upon request at any time, and wear company provided Personal Protective
Equipment. The Electrician – GC is a General Construction position and individuals must be able to travel and transfer to
a new headquarters upon request at any time; throughout the entire PG&E service territory with no guarantees as to
how long you will be away from home.
- Attends and participates in tailboards. Reviews, verifies and modifies prints and electric schematics. Lays out materials for installation, such as conduit, steel, wires, junction boxes, tools, etc. Places orders for supplies as needed.
- Moves equipment to staging area. Performs safety preparation including performing high voltage protective grounding.
- Uses power tools and hand tools to install equipment and systems, such as wire terminations, high voltage equipment, overhead and underground electrical and conduit systems, steel structures, control panels, metering and protection systems, air switches. Sets up rigging. Pulls wire.
- May operate construction equipment, if qualified, such as crane truck, man lift, boom truck, bucket truck as part of installation, excavation, and compaction. Operates forklift to move and reposition equipment.
- Uses hand and power tools, such as jackhammers, wackers and shovels to remove and replace soil. • Removes old high voltage equipment, structures and other impediments prior to installation using heavy equipment, rigging and other tools.
- Drives equipment on the job site (substation). May drive equipment from one job site to another. May drive a company vehicle to pick up tools or other equipment away from the job site.
- Maintains work area in a clean and safe condition. Removes trash, debris and excess materials. Picks up and reorganizes tools.
- Overtime may be required. Qualifications
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Must possess a High School diploma or GED
- Must possess and maintain a valid California Class C Driver’s License
- Successful completion of a Union Sanctioned Apprentice Electrician program
- Ability to work in all types of weather extremes
- Ability to drive safely in all weather and road conditions
- Must be willing to travel/ transfer to new headquarters upon request at any time; throughout the entire PG&E service territory with no guarantees as to how long you will be away from home
- Ability to work extended hours, nights, weekends and holidays, and various work schedules
- Ability to work in remote work locations with possible exposure to poison oak, snakes, spiders, bees, mosquitoes, ticks, rodents etc.
- Must be able to wear company provided Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- If hired as Provisional, must pass the provisional training plan within 12 months from hire date
- 3-5 years Journey level experience in commercial or industrial electrical construction
- PG&E construction or utility experience
- Experience with electronic or mechanical equipment
- Instrumentation and Control experience
- Motor Control experience
- Electrical Substation or Power Generation experience
- High voltage experience
- Experience working with testing equipment and troubleshooting
- To better represent the communities we serve, applicants who live within 30 miles of the headquarter location will be given preference
PG&E Employees: You must have qualified on all prerequisite tests prior to submitting an application; and all secondary tests prior to interviewing. For more information on prerequisite and secondary exams, including study guides, please visit the [ Link removed ] website.
- Physical Test Battery
- Work Orientation Inventory-Physical/Technical Driving
Pacific Gas and Electric Company is an Affirmative Action and Equal Employment Opportunity Employer that actively pursues and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability status, medical condition, protected veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information or any other factor that is not related to the job.
- Motor Control
- Control Panels
- Personal Protective Equipment
- High Voltage
- Rigging (Sailing Ship)