To begin the application process, please enter your email address.
Company Contact Info
- Washington, DC
Sorry, we cannot save or unsave this job right now.
Report this Job
Saving Your Job Alert
Job Alert Saved!
Could not save Job Alert!
You have too many Job Alerts!
This email address has reached the maximum of 5 email alerts. To create a new alert, you will need to log into your email and unsubscribe from at least one.
Email Send Failed!
Senior Government Information Specialist
Olgoonik • Washington, DC
Posted 21 days ago
Get facts about other applicants with a CareerBuilder Account
The Bureau of Administration’s Office of Global Information Services, Office of Information Programs and Services (A/GIS/IPS) needs Government Information Specialists to assist in the processing of Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) and Privacy Act (PA) requests that are the subject of appeals and/or litigation involving the Department. A/GIS/IPS is responsible for the development and implementation for of the Department’s Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) and records management policies, and administers the State Archiving System the Department’s FOIA website, FOIA processing database and the Records Service Center.
- Coordinates the processing of FOIA and Privacy Act Requests for information.
- Prepares detailed Litigation Report for use by Office of Legal Advisors (L) and DOJ attorneys representing FOIA/PA lawsuits.
- Reviews incoming requests for clarity and reasonableness and responds effectively.
- Works closely with Office of Legal Advisor (L) on FOIA cases that have gone into litigation.
- Serves as a contact and coordinator for all FOIA issues relating to litigation cases.
- Drafts, reviews, and edits a variety of legal documentation to include status reports, motions, and declarations.
- Utilizes electronic recordkeeping systems and other sophisticated tools to monitor/track cases progress, review release/denial decisions, generate reports and out process cases.
- Tracks deliverables and due outs using deadlines communicated by Office of Legal Advisors (L), and internal processing deadlines.
- Conducts organizational assessments of projects/programs designed to improve and streamline.
- Assists with training as needed pertaining to exemptions and nuances of FOIA law, documents analyses and techniques for processing records subject to appeal or litigation.
May mentor/train Junior Specialists.
Education and/or Experience:
- A two year Paralegal degree is required with 6 years’ experience or a bachelor’s degree in Political Science, Foreign Affairs, International Affairs/Relations, History, Law or related field study.
- Experience working in and/or demonstrated expertise in foreign affairs or national security highly preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Must possess demonstrated knowledge of E.O. 13526, the FOIA, the Privacy Act, and other information access programs.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
SECRET Level Required
- Must have a current US Government SECRET Personnel Security Clearance or higher Personnel Security Clearance.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen.
- Must also be able to maintain a US Government SECRET clearance.
The physical demands described herein are representative of those that an employee must meet to perform the essential function of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this position, the employee must be able to stand; walk; sit; use hands and/or fingers to handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; occasionally lift and or move up to 25 pounds; operate office equipment, reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; balance; stoop; kneel; talk and hear.
In performance of this contract, occasional travel to other locations may be required.
The position’s responsibilities are performed in a typical office environment.