Goodwill is one of the leading non-profit brands in the world and one of the largest non-profits in Southern California. We are a rapidly evolving organization and yet we have never been more focused on our Mission, on our people, and on our future. It’s always a GOOD day in SoCal!
Primary Responsibility / Summary
Provides service coordination, advocacy and case management to veterans, making referrals to appropriate providers for housing, mental health, VA services, legal assistance, training, education, financial, partner resources and employment services that lead to independence and self-sufficiency.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Conducts initial intake and basic aptitude, skills, personality, and emotional intelligence assessments to determine needs of veterans, and makes referrals to and follows up with appropriate service providers.
- Prepares initial Individual Service Plans (ISP) that integrates assessment results and translates skills and needs to help facilitate social services. Develops the plan to help the veteran mitigate barriers that affect their employability and documents progress and updates plan regularly.
- Maintains ongoing interaction with current and prospective partners to further enhance the outreach and referral efforts of the program. Participates in community meetings, stand-downs, veterans breakfasts, and outreach gatherings to veterans.
- Develops trusting and open relationships with veterans. Follows up and supports the veterans through transitions and assists with decision-making and goal setting.
- Conducts regular check in meetings with Vet/MilFam to assess progress.
- Maintains gathering space at Rally Point with supplies.
- Arranges for transportation needs of Vet/MilFam.
- Staffs Rally Point and Community Access Points as needed.
- Provides after-hours coverage once per week for phone support when Rally Point or CAPs are not open.
- Assists Squad Leaders with peer run events as needed.
- Provides post-employment follow-up and retention services.
- Tracks the results of referrals, and inputs data into funder and company mandated databases for performance tracking and trend analysis.
- This position requires extensive local travel (> 50% of the time). A valid CA driver's license and state-required auto insurance are required. Driving record must be acceptable by our insurance vendor.
Additional Duties & Responsibilities
- Other duties and special projects as assigned.
- This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education & Experience
- Previous military member, or spouse of military member required.
- Bachelor's degree from four-year college or university in social work or psychology required. MSW or MA psych or similar preferred.
- 3-5 years of service coordination or case management experience with veterans required.
- Demonstrated experience providing services to homeless veterans and their families.
- Excellent interpersonal communication and relationship building skills especially with veterans and community organizations.
- Extensive knowledge of the Veterans Administration and other related agencies require.
- Must have an existing network of service providers.
- Excellent organizational and time-management skills.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Non-profit experience preferred.
- Spanish / English bilingual preferred.
- Ability to handle confidential information.
- Punctual and dependable attendance.
- Free from alcohol and drug abuse.
- Understands the basic philosophy of Goodwill and participates fully in carrying out its mission.
- Adheres to Goodwill’s values of Respect, Integrity, Service, & Excellence.
- Veteran with service-CONNECTED disability welcome.
- Ability to relate well to veterans.
- Excellent problem-solving skills.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
Other Educational Skills & Abilities
- Must have intermediate knowledge of computer programs in a Windows environment, including Word, Excel and E-mail.
English Language Skills
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
- Database software
- Internet software
- Spreadsheet software
- Word Processing software
- Presentation software
- New Hire Orientation
- Effective Communication
- Managing Difficult Situations
- Drug Screen
- Background Check
- Employment Verification
- Live Scan - DOJ
- COVID vaccine verification
Goodwill Industries in Southern California is an equal opportunity employer and gives consideration for employment to qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status. If you'd like more information about your EEO rights as an applicant under the law, please click here: [ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to Veteran Battle Buddy
Goodwill gives preferential consideration to persons with barriers to employment. Persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Goodwill is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity for applicants and employees.
Employment decisions will comply with all applicable laws prohibiting discrimination in employment including Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the Age Discrimination Employment Act of 1967, the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, the Immigration and Nationality Act, and any other characteristic protected by federal or state law.
Nondiscrimination on the Basis of Disabilities
In furtherance of our commitment to end discrimination against qualified disabled individuals, and in accordance with the provisions of Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Americans with Disabilities Act, and all regulations properly issued thereunder to protect the rights of qualified disabled persons, it is Goodwill's policy that no program or activity administered by it shall exclude from participation, deny benefits to or subject to discrimination any individual solely by reason of his or her disability. Equal employment opportunity will be extended to qualified disabled persons in all aspects of the employer-employee relationship, including recruitment, hiring, upgrading, training, promotion, transfer, discipline, layoff, recall and termination. We further affirm that we will provide reasonable accommodation to the known physical or mental limitations of an otherwise qualified disabled employee or applicant.
It is the policy of Goodwill to provide reasonable accommodations for qualified persons with disabilities who are employees or applicants for employment. If you need assistance for accommodations to interview because of a disability, please notify the Human Resources Department.
Employment opportunities will not be denied to anyone because of the need to make reasonable accommodations for a disability.
- Job Family :WCD
- Pay Type :Hourly
- Business Correspondence
- Case Management