This is a two-year post-doctoral appointment (with possible renewal) to provide advanced research training to individuals with a doctoral degree in the biological sciences. This position will provide support to the newest Area of Emphasis in Emerging Infections at the Children Mercy’s Research Institute with an emphasis on pediatric infectious diseases, metagenomics, and virology research. This laboratory was most recently awarded a multi-million-dollar grant to conduct surveillance for respiratory pathogens in children attending public school in KC metro area. Emerging Infections are the focus of studies performed in this laboratory with additional funding from other federal and industry-sponsored grants. The position is directly supervised by the Research Laboratory Manager and Department Director (Principal Investigator) but with independent responsibilities in experimental design, scientific troubleshooting, manuscript preparation, and local, national and international presentations. This position may provide mentorship to laboratory technicians and students.
This is an intermittent remote position, which means that the person hired will work with his/her manager to determine a schedule that includes both at home and onsite hours at a Children’s Mercy location. The incumbent must live in the Kansas City metro area.
For more information, please visit
- Emerging Infections Area of Emphasis | Children's Mercy Kansas City (childrensmercy.org)
- Conduct laboratory research, primarily in the areas of pediatric infectious diseases, metagenomics, and virology.
- Design new methods to detect pediatric pathogens causing respiratory, gastrointestinal, and systemic infections.
- Develop and test hypothesis under supervision of mentor.
- Analyze and report research findings, publish results in scientific journals.
- Submit proposals/grant to internal and external funding agencies.
- Present results at organizational, local, regional, and national meetings.
- Provide mentorship to laboratory staff.
- Ph.D. and 1-2 years of experience
At Children’s Mercy, we are committed to ensuring that everyone feels welcomed within our walls. A successful candidate for this position will join us as we strive to create a workplace that reflects the community we serve, as well as our core values of kindness, curiosity, inclusion, team and integrity.
- Coaching And Mentoring
- Design Of Experiments
- Human Gastrointestinal Tract
- Problem Solving
- Respiratory Systems