The Senior Systems Engineer’s role is to ensure the stability, integrity, and efficient operation of the in-house information systems that support core organizational functions. This is achieved by monitoring, maintaining, supporting, and optimizing all networked software and associated operating systems. The Senior Systems Engineer works under direct supervision and will apply proven communication, analytical, and problem-solving skills to help identify, communicate, and resolve issues to maximize the benefit of IT systems investments.
Strategy & Planning:
- Collaborate with network staff to ensure smooth and reliable operation of software and systems for fulfilling business objectives and processes.
- Work with executive team members, decision makers, and stakeholders to define business requirements and systems goals, and to identify and resolve business systems issues.
Acquisition & Deployment:
- Design and deploy new applications and enhancements to existing applications, software, and operating systems.
- Perform cost-benefit and return on investment analyses for proposed systems to aid management in making implementation decisions.
- Conduct research on software and systems products to justify recommendations and to support purchasing efforts.
- Interact and negotiate with vendors, outsourcers, and contractors to secure system-related products and services.
- Gauge the effectiveness and efficiency of existing systems; develop and implement strategies for improving or further leveraging these systems.
- Propose and create system design models, specifications, diagrams, and charts to provide direction to system programmer and development teams.
- Design and perform server and security audits, system backup procedures, and other recovery processes in accordance with the company’s disaster recovery and business continuity strategies.
- Integrate servers, including database, e-mail, print, and backup servers and their associated software into enterprise systems.
- Ensure system connectivity of all servers, shared software, groupware, and other applications.
- Create and maintain documentation as it relates to system configuration, mapping, processes, and service records.
- Ensure compatibility and interoperability of in-house computing systems.
- Coordinate and perform in-depth tests, including end-user reviews, for modified and new systems.
- Monitor and test system performance; prepare and deliver system performance statistics and reports.
- Provide orientation and training to end users for all modified and new systems.
Education and Experience Requirements:
- College degree in computer science or software engineering and/or  years equivalent work experience.
- Proven experience in overseeing the design, development, and implementation of software systems, applications, and related products.
- Proven experience with systems planning, security principles, and general software management best practices.
- Extensive experience with Routing & Switching Protocols. VLANs, DNS, DHCP
- Excellent knowledge of [SAN, NAS, DAS, RAID, SCSI, Fibre Channel, tape, clustering, encryption, content-addressable storage technologies from IBM, NetApps and EMC vendors.
- Working technical knowledge of current software protocols, and Internet standards.
- Working technical knowledge of power shell and VBScript programming languages.
- Working knowledge of network and PC operating systems, including Windows Server Operating Systems, Linux Operating Systems and VMware ESX.
- Competence with testing, flowchart, and data mapping tools and procedures.
- Excellent understanding of the organization’s goals and objectives.
- Knowledge of applicable data privacy practices and laws.
Physical Requirements: This is primarily a sedentary office position which requires the Senior Systems Engineer to have the ability to operate computer equipment, speak, hear, bend, stoop, reach, lift, and move and carry up to 25 lbs. Finger dexterity is necessary. This is a position which requires the Senior Systems Engineer frequent walking, standing and climbing of stairs in/around homes, models and properties. Must also have the ability to operate computer equipment, speak, hear, bend, stoop, reach, lift, and move and carry up to 25 lbs. Finger dexterity is necessary.
This description outlines the basic responsibilities and requirements for the position noted. This is not a comprehensive listing of all job duties of the Associates. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice. RedHen #CB