The Nursing Supervisor is responsible for supervision and coordination of patient care for the nursing units. Functions include: problem solving, providing adequate staffing, monitoring work performance and providing appropriate feedback to employees regarding work performance and behavior, interpreting, implementing and enforcing hospital policy. Assumes responsibility for nursing administrative decisions in the absence of the Chief Nursing Officer, if applicable. Performs other related duties as assigned or requested. This is a non-exempt position.
- Provides direct supervision and coordination of nursing activities to ensure desired levels and age appropriateness of care; serves as the coordinator of patient care activities for support and ancillary services on assigned shifts; responsible for the direct supervision of staff nurses, including, but not limited to, the authority to assign and responsibly to direct staff nurses through the use of independent judgment.
- Gives input and direction to staff re: clinical and organizational issues that arise in the course of patient care.
- Interviews potential staff, as directed.
- Monitors staffing levels for on-coming shift and adjusts as necessary to meet patient needs.
- Participates in the direct care of patients when indicated.
- Uses the opportunity to evaluate the current practice of nursing staff and to instruct staff in those areas when knowledge/skill deficits exist.
- Maintains familiarity with and correctly interprets, implements, and communicates system and hospital policy.
- Communicates effectively with staff, patients, visitors, and health care providers to provide a positive image of PAM Health.
- Seeks advice from nursing management and the administrator-on-call, when necessary; communicates directly with other off-duty managers when necessary to assure quality care and patient safety and satisfaction.
- Follows procedure when having to gain access to ancillary departments.
- Uses critical thinking skills and independent judgment in assessing problems and takes appropriate action to maximize patient and staff satisfaction, quality of care, and patient and staff safety.
- Demonstrates ability to make new staff members feel welcome and to instill enthusiasm and confidence in the job by providing formal or informal training and by facilitating orientation into the system and hospital.
- Provides input into development of standards and criteria for monitoring compliance through hospital committee membership, process improvement activities, attending/providing educational programs, etc.
- Exhibits knowledge of growth and development of patients, as noted above, and demonstrates ability to assess, provide and interpret age- specific data including response to treatment of patients.
- Participates in the modeling of appropriate professional nursing behavior; participates in the professional development of assigned staff; and participates in the evaluation of employee performance and disciplinary actions, as necessary.
- Participates in the on-call rotation, if applicable.
Inclusiveness: Promotes cooperation, fairness and equity; shows respect for people and their differences; works to understand perspectives of others; demonstrates empathy; brings out the best in others and in his/her team.
Managing Staff: Coaches, evaluates, develops, and inspires staff. Sets expectations. Recognizes achievements. Effectively manages conflict. Aligns dept. goals with company goals. Provides feedback, group leadership. Delegates appropriately. Evaluations completed on time.
Stewardship and Resource Management: Demonstrates accountability and sound judgment in managing company resources. Appropriate understanding of confidentiality and company values. Adheres to and supports company policies, procedures and safety guidelines.
Problem Solving: Identifies problems, involves others in seeking solutions. Conducts appropriate analysis. Searches for best solutions. Effectively and efficiently implements appropriate response to correct problem. Responds promptly and effectively to new challenges.
Decision Making: Makes clear, consistent decisions. Acts with integrity in all decisions. Distinguishes relevant from irrelevant information. Makes timely, appropriate decisions.
Strategic Planning and Organizing: Understands company vision and aligns priorities accordingly. Measures outcomes. Uses feedback to redirect as required. Evaluates alternatives. Appropriately organizes complex issues to desirable resolution.
Communication: Connects with fellow managers, employees and all customers. Actively listens. Clearly and effectively shares information. Demonstrates effective oral and written communication skills. Negotiates effectively.
Quality Improvement: Strives for efficient, effective, high quality performance in self and the department. Delivers timely and accurate results. Resilient when responding to matters that are challenging. Takes initiative to make improvements.
Leadership: Motivates others. Accepts responsibility. Maintains high morale in department. Develops trust and credibility. Expects honest and ethical behavior of self and staff.
Teamwork: Encourages cooperation and collaboration. Builds effective teams. Works in partnership with others. Is flexible. Responsive to the needs of others.
Development: Maintains up-to-date skills through involvement with professional organizations or continuing education.
Education and Training: Holds current licensure as a Registered Nurse in the state where the hospital resides. BSN preferred, but not required. Current BLS and ACLS certification is required
Experience: A minimum of 2 years medical-surgical nursing or equivalent required. Long Term Acute Care or rehabilitation nursing and/or management level experience preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to communicate verbally to provide appropriate input and direction to all levels of staff, patients, and their families and visitors.
- Motor coordination and manual dexterity are necessary to coordinate hands, eyes and fingers in administering medications and treatments, using clinical instruments, and handling patients.
- Some clerical expertise is required to prepare records and charts.
- Legible handwriting to facilitate appropriate and retrievable information in the patient record and required reports.
PAM Health is committed to being the most trusted source for post-acute services in every community it serves by utilizing experienced and dedicated staff to provide high quality patient care and customer service. With over 44 Long Term Acute Care and Rehabilitation hospitals and 16 Outpatient Clinics currently in operation across the country, we are proud to offer services including comprehensive wound care, aquatic therapy, ventilator weaning, amputation treatment, pain management and much more.
Joining our PAMily allows you to work in a collaborative environment with colleagues and leadership with exposure to a variety of patient care levels. Aside from our competitive pay, generous paid benefit time, and excellent insurance options, you will also have opportunities for professional growth through our Education Advancement Program.
We are excited to learn more about you and hope that you consider joining us on a shared mission to improve the lives of others by being an integral part of our We Care Program. Please take a moment to visit us online at [ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to Nursing Supervisor - PRN Night | Stoughton LTACH for a comprehensive look at how we're able to positively impact our local communities.
PAM Health does not discriminate and does not permit discrimination, including, without limitation, bullying, abuse or harassment, on the basis of actual or perceived race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, gender, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression or HIV status, or based on association with another person on account of that person's actual or perceived race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, gender, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression or HIV status.
- Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support (Acls)
- Basic Life Support
- Business Management
- Business Process Improvement
- Certified Nurse Practitioner
- Clinical Works