KEY TASKS & RESPONSIBILITIES
In this position reporting to the Head of U.S. Payer Marketing, the Director, Neurology and Immunology (N&I) Payer Marketing will demonstrate strategic leadership across the organization to establish and enhance the value of EMD Serono beyond its products with payer (commercial, Medicare, Medicaid), specialty pharmacy and other third-party customers. S/he will build and execute strategic and tactical plans that support US commercial and Global Access planning.
This role will define and execute upon EMD Serono’s payer and channel strategies around evolving healthcare delivery systems and quality-centric care models as it relates to EMD Serono’s N&I franchise, leveraging analysis of insights to drive key strategic choices. S/he will apply broad industry knowledge and commercial awareness to drive the performance of the therapeutic area through strategy and development and execution of tactical concepts.
Through leadership, strong cross-functional alignment and collaboration with multiple groups (Brand Marketing, Sales, Global Market Access, Contracting & Pricing, Regulatory, Market Research, Customer Excellence & Operations, HEOR, Medical Affairs, Legal) this role ensures alignment with overall brand strategy, execution, performance objectives and customer value. This individual will align closely with EMD Serono’s field Account Management team to design customer programs and lead the execution of strategies and tactics with brand product managers and field team members. S/he will also work to ensure alignment and coordination of payer and channel strategies between the U.S. and global affiliates. The Director, N&I Payer Marketing will serve as a core member on the therapeutic area leadership team for the purpose of strategic planning, execution management (to ensure that Market Access strategies are incorporated throughout the brand plans and tactics), and to represent the broader Market Access & Customer Solutions (MA&CS) team (e.g. Pricing & Contracting, Trade & Distribution, Strategy & Operations). S/he will develop strategies and frameworks for broader and deeper MA&CS engagement with key opinion leaders (KOLs), payer membership educations, as well as other key contacts within EMD Serono’s payer customer base.
S/he will serve as a liaison with internal and external partners to lead and guide functional payer strategic, tactical and program development, and execute functional business plans, all guided by MA&CS strategies, priorities and business plans, impacting department performance by supporting and funding projects or services. S/he will work to ensure pull/push-through strategies and tactics are developed and executed through the Account team’s leadership with aligned Field Sales Teams by negotiating with senior leaders across the business. S/he will lead large projects and initiatives that require significant cross-functional responsibilities and collaboration. The successful candidate will proactively resolve complex business problems by innovating beyond existing methodologies and his / her own discipline, often influencing and working through broad cross-functional stakeholders. S/he will be responsible for the regulatory and legal approval process for all market access tactics for the N&I therapeutic area.
The Director, N&I Payer Marketing will demonstrate a strong track record of success in deep commercial Payer or Channel marketing expertise, making key business choices and leading implementation across the matrix. S/he must have exceptional analytical insight and a proven ability to prioritize and manage complex and innovative projects and establish a vision and direction for the N&I payer marketing team within a fast moving, challenging and nascent commercial landscape as it pertains to this therapeutic area. The successful candidate will have a proven record of cross-functional management and be seen as credible, dynamic and creative with the energy and passion to work successfully in a collaborative environment. This role will ensure clear internal cross-communication as well as alignment on goals, metrics, timelines and deliverables, to maintain effective and efficient relationships and drive toward the achievement of results. The Director, N&I Payer Marketing will manifest trust and be known for unparalleled ethics and integrity. Importantly, the successful hire will put patients first and have a significant respect for science.
The Director, N&I Payer Marketing is a high profile, critical, commercial leadership role, at the forefront of the industry with the opportunity to create immense therapeutic impact. Growth potential includes advancement within the U.S. Payer & Channel Marketing function as well as EMD Serono’s broader commercial organization.
PROFESSIONAL SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- 5+ years focused payer marketing knowledge of MS marketplace, Access Influencers, and Specialty Distribution, driving value, access and profitability in complex payer markets
- Strong analytical and financial skills including budgeting, forecasting, and management reporting
- Strong project management and vendor management skills
- 5+ years progressive, multi-disciplinary commercial experience developing and executing successful business strategies. (field, customer facing roles, market insights, patient services etc. Global experience a plus)
- Demonstrated measurable top and bottom-line results
- Demonstrated understanding of Payer landscape, Health Economics and Outcomes research (HEOR) environment and US Healthcare system required
- Strategic thinker with strong strategic acumen wo can frame complex problems and articulate clear, data-driven recommendation
- Strong customer orientation. Resourceful with strong networking skills.
- Excellent time management and project management skills. Demonstrated ability to think ahead and pan over a 1-2 year time span while at the same time executing on priority commitments. Problem analysis and resolution at both a strategic and tactical level
- High level of expertise in financial modeling, scenario planning, and impact assessments
- Ability to work and lead collaboratively in cross - functional teams across the managed markets organization, brand teams, finance, legal & regulatory.
- Ability to identify leading trends, channel dynamics and translate to impactful access programs for our brands.
- Must be comfortable working in a matrix reporting and cross-cultural environment
- Ability to translate strategies into measurable tactical programs that have high ROI for our brands.
- Collaborative leader and self-starter who thrives in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial, dynamic environment and “roll-up your sleeves” culture.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Marketing or Related field required
- Advanced degree such as MPH, PharmD or MBA preferred