This unique opportunity is open to juniors, seniors, and graduate students pursuing a career in Computer Science or a related technical field. This internship opportunity will provide the applicant entry-level experience with progressive responsibility and experience. The work will be hands-on support of the various missions at the EROS (Earth Resources Observation and Science) Center (URL blocked - click to apply), located near Sioux Falls, South Dakota. The Unix/Linux Systems Administrator intern(s) will be assigned a mentor. The interns will telecommute from campus with travel to the EROS Center as their schedule permits and as the project requires. It is expected that the selected interns will work on site at EROS during school breaks, and/or during the summer months. This position holds potential for full-time employment upon graduation, pending project funding.
Activities include ensuring the stable operation of the in-house computer network and systems. This includes planning, installing, configuring, maintaining, supporting, and optimizing all system hardware, software, and communication links. This person will also analyze and resolve end-user hardware and software computer problems in a timely and accurate fashion. Applicant must be able to work independently or in a group environment, be capable of training users in applications, and writing documentation. This position will work under the direct supervision of the Senior System Administrators.
- Provide basic Linux/Unix systems administration
- Basic software engineering methodology knowledge
- Follow configuration and change management processes.
- Understand computer architecture and operating systems.
- Knowledge with Virtualization technologies, installing/configuring VMware; Creation, management, administration and maintenance of virtual servers and clients.
- Write and debug scripts and programs that enhance the utility of systems and provide effective user interface to other systems.
- Assist the Project with testing as necessary for software releases.
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, and communication skills
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team.
Education: Working towards a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or a related discipline and graduating in 2020 or 2021.
Experience: 0-2 year’s related experience is desired.
Candidates must have strong technical knowledge, excellent communication skills, and a teamwork emphasis. Candidates must also be able to integrate into a highly-skilled Team.
The candidate must be able to obtain and maintain a national agency check and background investigation after hire to obtain a badge for facility access and user accounts.
This position will be posted to the career opportunities listing on the KBR website (URL blocked - click to apply).
This position may be filled by a KBR teammate on the TSSC Contract. Please apply on line.
KBR is an equal opportunity employer. EOE/m/f/disabled/veteran.