HIAS seeks a Human Resources Associate to support administrative tasks and services supporting effective and efficient operations for the HR department, including timekeeping, onboarding, offboarding, employee relations and benefits administration. This role will report to the Associate Director, Human Resources. The ideal candidate is a highly motivated, organized, detailed-oriented problem solver with an appreciation for accuracy and documentation. They should be a driven individual with excellent communication and customer service skills, and a good knowledge of human resources.
* Supports the Human Resources department and provides a high level of customer service.
* Serves as a point of contact for all employee HR related information, including phone calls, email, HR Inbox and mail inquiries, ensuring accurate and timely customer service.
* Maintains the timekeeping database, makes corrections as needed and reviews semi-monthly timesheets, contacting employees and supervisors on timesheet corrections and approvals.
* Supports the onboarding, offboarding and employee changes of headquarters staff.
* Processes and reconciles monthly vendor billing and invoices to ensure adequate and timely allocations and payments.
* Provides administrative support for physical and electronic file maintenance.
* Coordinates employee engagement initiatives, including birthday cards, acknowledgement gifts and birthday celebration presentations.
* Assists with employee wellbeing research and resource development.
* Assists with HIASnet updates, as needed.
* Serves as a back-up to the Administration Coordinator by answering phones and directing callers to appropriate departments, as necessary.
* Performs other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS:
* Undergraduate degree preferred.
* 1-2 years of prior experience in customer service, administrative support and/or Human Resources.
* Experience in identifying and organizing various HR related paperwork, including performance reviews, employee applications and staff I-9 forms.
* Ability to demonstrate confidentiality and articulate knowledge of HR processes.
* Excellent communication (oral and written) and presentation skills.
* Strong project management, time management and customer service skills.
* Proficient with MS Office Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
* Ability to work with a diverse group of individuals to complete projects and tasks.
We are committed to a fair and respectful hiring process, and we do our absolute best to respond to every applicant. We prioritize communication and transparency with all candidates, even those who are not moving forward. Heres a snapshot of our hiring process:
Step 1: Submit your application!
Step 2: Phone screen with a HIAS recruiter.
Step 3: Video interview with the hiring manager.
Step 4: Video interview with a panel of HIAS employees.
Step 5: Online reference check with SkillSurvey.
Step 6: Offer and background check with Shield Screening or ESR.
Step 7: Start your professional journey with HIAS!
Note: Some of our hiring processes may vary, and not all candidates will advance to each step.
Over one hundred years ago, the Jewish community founded HIAS (originally the Hebrew Immigrant Aid Society) in New York City, the immigrant gateway to America. Supporting Jews fleeing persecution and poverty in Eastern Europe, our founders were guided by the traditions, texts and history of the Jewish peoplea history of oppression, displacement and diaspora. HIAS has since helped generations of Jews facing violence because of who they were, and HIAS remains committed to helping Jewish refugees anywhere in the world. Today, our clients at HIAS come from diverse faiths, ethnicities and backgrounds, as do our staff. We bring our experience, history and values to our work across five continents, ensuring that refugees today receive the vital services and opportunities they need to thrive.
HIAS is a learning community, committed to diversity and inclusion. We do our work with integrity, accountability, transparency and a commitment to the highest ethical standards. We seek employees from diverse backgrounds and life experiences to join our teams located in the United States and across the globe. People who identify as BIPOC, people with disabilities, people from the LGBTQ+ community and people with lived experiences of forced displacement or immigration are all encouraged to apply. We are committed to building a diverse workforce that reflects our vision, mission and values.
HIAS stands for a world in which refugees find welcome, safety and opportunity.
Drawing on our Jewish values and history, HIAS provides vital services to refugees and asylum seekers around the world and advocates for their fundamental rights so they can rebuild their lives.
Welcome Acogimiento Hospitalité Hachnasat Orchim
We Welcome the Stranger
Justice Justicia Justice Tzedek
We Pursue Justice
Empathy Empatía Empathie Chesed
We Approach our Clients with Empathy
Partnership Compañerismo Coopération Chevruta
We Believe in Changing the World through Partnership
Courage Coraje Courage Ometz
We Act with Courage to Build a Better World
Resilience Resiliencia Résilience Ruach
We Adapt and Thrive, Continuously Demonstrating our Resilience
HIAS is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. As an equal opportunity employer, all qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, ethnic background, ancestry, citizenship status, religious creed, age, sex, gender, sexual orientation, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, registered domestic partner or civil union status, familial status, pregnancy, childbirth, military status, protected veteran status, political orientation or other legally protected status.
HIAS is committed to the protection of children, vulnerable adults and any other person from any harm caused directly or indirectly due to their coming into contact with HIAS. We will not tolerate sexual exploitation, abuse or any form of child abuse or neglect by our staff or associated personnel. Any candidate offered a job with HIAS will be expected to sign and adhere to HIAS Code of Conduct and Safeguarding policies. All offers of employment will be subject to satisfactory references and appropriate screening checks, which can include criminal records. HIAS also participates in the
- Customer Service