Education Requirements: A 4-year engineering degree or equivalent combinations of training and/or related experience. Successful review of electrical work practices required.
Experience: Five years of relevant experience.
Position Summary: Provides input and technical expertise for power generating construction projects. Additional requirements are: General Contractor support of Engineering review, procurement (if necessary), construction, and start-up of a high or medium voltage electrical system and associated substation. Responsible for installation guidance, QA/QC enforcement, scheduling support and owner correspondence. Responsible for review and final submittal to Owner of Engineer As-builts and project system packages (Job Books). On-site supervision of Assistant Superintendents and electrical subcontractors to ensure a safe, productive job is attained and costs are controlled in the construction field operations.
Essential Job Functions
- Review bid package for accuracy, completeness, and electrical work scope for electrical subcontractors and Blattner electrical personnel.
- Communicate with Site Manager for immediate review of electrical information and any changes to the job.
- Coordinate electrical work with other job planning and functions such as foundation, erection and tower wiring.
- Supervises all Assistant Superintendents on-site to ensure use of all company resources; and adherence to all company policies and state and federal regulations.
- Monitors Blattner work including subcontractors to maximize production and minimize costs.
- Acts as an electrical consultant to supervisory and field personnel in the areas of transmission lines, inter-connect systems, switchgear installations, electrical circuits, power quality, and high voltage collection/distribution systems. Conducts weekly meeting with Electrical Engineers, Electrical subcontractors, Owner (SME's) and Utility interconnect personnel. Need to establish meeting early to bring closure to project action items and bring necessary information forward that may impede design or construction. Supervise all project Electrical subcontractors, Electrical engineers to ensure effective use of project resources as well as industry processes. Has a clear understanding of production goals and cost and identifies job cost reduction opportunities.
- Responsible for monitoring electrical subcontractor installation activities and progress.
- Responsible for safe working conditions and procedures including verification of qualified and trained personnel for the following: switch and tag procedures, approaching distances, arc flash, protective equipment, and rotation and voltage check.
- Ensures a safe work environment by complying with company's safety polices as well as complying with federal and state safety regulations. Ensures all subcontractor equipment, materials, and small tools are in safe operating condition. Need to collaborate with the Electrical subcontractors and Engineers that project will strive for "Zero" accidents. Need to understand conditions of working around high voltage lines (I.e. High-potting or Partial discharge tests). Coordinate the Lock-out procedure with the Site Operations personnel, Electrical subcontractor, and Engineer. Manage the back feed of the system without incident. Assure there are written procedures, POD, and a new formal plan if changes are needed.
- Communicates with Site Manager to update him/her on project problem areas.
- Assist Site Manager in communicating and negotiating with owner regarding major project decisions.
- Assist in the development and maintenance of project schedule as needed. Effectively schedule the work with Electrical engineer, Electrical contractors, Utility groups, and Owner (SME's) in accordance with the project baseline schedule. Variations need to be shared with Project Manager and also Owner representative. Assist site team with short interval plan (two week look ahead) and Plan of the Day
- Compares and continuously monitors actual costs to the job estimate and informs Site Manager of cost over-runs.
- Assist the PM in establishing the Project Electrical budget (Engineering, Construction, and Interconnect.) Will assist PM in expediting change orders and changes to project Electrical budget. Will review equipment with Engineer and Owner to utilize most cost effective equipment that is approved for the construction site.
- Responsible for hiring and laying off of electrical craft employees.
- Schedules equipment and subcontractors to effectively utilize all resources.
- Responsible for the safety and skill evaluation of Assistant Superintendents and Electrical Field Engineers.
- Arrange for engineering support and consultation needed as well as provide for peer review of critical electrical issues.
- Collaborate with corporate managers in becoming a qualified person in obtaining state contractor license(s), and/or a journeyman or master electrician licenses.
Additional Job Functions
Electrical Overhead Transmission; Electrical Underground and Collection systems; Substation Construction; Transmission Utility Interconnect; Electrical Engineering Communication System; Assure that all electrical workers are qualified and trained for the technical and safety aspects of work they are performing. When training is needed follow through to make sure the needed training is provided in a timely manner.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Must have a valid driver license and an acceptable motor vehicle driving record (MVR).
- Extensive travel is required throughout the United States with extended periods of time spent at jobsite locations (i.e. weeks or months at a time).
- Substantial construction field experience, as well as the ability to perform administrative tasks.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and Outlook)
- Basic understanding of safety construction, commissioning, and testing electrical systems.
- Ability to supervise a large number of employees.
- Good communication skills to deal with owners, subcontractors, and employees.
- Possess a solid understanding of tracking job progress and costing.
*All job offers are contingent upon receiving a negative drug/alcohol test result and a satisfactory physical examination designed solely to determine your physical ability to perform the duties of the positing being offered to you. Field employees are subject to random drug testing.
Product Quality Assurance