Under direct supervision of a Mechanical Foreman, the Utility Worker will operate and service to completion METRO buses, automobiles and component parts in a timely manner. Performs duties in a safe, efficient manner and in compliance with all applicable rules and safety procedures.
Responsibilities and Specific Duties
- Drive CDL rated vehicles and other METRO operated vehicles/equipment.
- Responsible for batteries; service, charges, moves and change-out. Operates battery-charging equipment.
- Make in-service bus changes as required.
- Transfer vehicles between METRO facilities and offsite vendors.
- Operate METRO tire service trucks and respond to service calls.
- Operate METRO spill response vehicle and perform clean-ups as directed.
- Move and park vehicles as required.
- Make minor repairs/adjustments to METRO operated vehicles as directed.
- Responsible for following proper protocol when using METRO’s bus radio system.
- Complete all required reports, lists and records in a timely and accurate manner.
- Perform the duties of a Cleaner when required.
- Provides excellent customer service to METRO internal and external customers.
- Promotes safety awareness and follows safety procedures in an effort to reduce or eliminate accidents.
- Performs other job-related duties as required.
High school diploma or equivalent.
Years & Experience Required
Minimum two (2) years stable work experience. Experience in a general mechanic services and/or basic preventative maintenance; cleaning and servicing autos preferred.
Knowledge & Skills Required
A valid Texas Commercial Drivers’ License (CDL) is required for the job and must meet METRO’s requirements regarding motor vehicle records. Must be able to drive all METRO operated vehicles. Good communication (written/verbal) skills. Able to complete, fill-out written records, reports and forms. Must be able to speak, read and write English.
The Metropolitan Transit Authority of Harris County, Texas has a zero tolerance drug and alcohol policy for all employees. All internal and external applicants will be required to undergo drug testing before employment and will be subject to further drug and/or alcohol testing throughout their employment.
Further, employees who perform safety-sensitive functions will submit to drug and/or alcohol testing in accordance to the Department of Transportation (DOT) and the Federal Transit Administration (FTA) regulatory requirements.
We provide equal opportunity to all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, veteran status, genetic information or disability.
- Commercial Driver's License (Cdl)
- Customer Service
- Preventive Maintenance