Responsible for leading the team and processes for technical development of Champion Teamwear products. Deliver manufacturing ready products that meet or exceed design's aesthetic intent, margin goals, sourcing strategies, quality requirements, and customer expectations.
- Supervises technical designers, fabric and color specialist, assistants, and interns.
- Manages work-flow, individual workloads, and development of staff to include performance management and training.
- Completes position specific training plan, and engages in continuous development.
- Mentors product development department staff by coordinating and providing personal development experiences and job skills training.
- Ensures newly hired employees or transfers complete position specific training and development plan.
- Conducts performance reviews (AMP) with employees as well as follow-up on discipline of employees within the department.
- Establishes efficient staff levels and conducts interviews as needed to meet staffing needs.
- Ensures pre-production samples are approved on time to meet calendar requirements for new product.
- Manages the evaluation and approval of manufacturing Top of Production samples.
- Ensures quality of newly developed product regarding color, hand, and construction meets internal and external customer satisfaction requirements.
- Manages the technical design staff in the fit process to ensure product is consistent with brand and category vision, as well as technical feasibility.
- Reviews electronic and paper patterns and makes adjustments as needed.
- Understands and implements the latest fabric, color, and fit trends.
- Manages the technical design staff in the creation of specification packages and labels, ensuring accuracy of details.
- Manages the technical design staff in the maintenance of fabric and color libraries, to include fabric standards & run cards, ensuring compliance with Champion and industry standards through bulk fabric approval.
- Maintains and evaluates the grading of all product.
- Ensures requests, receipts and hand-offs of all samples meet calendar requirements.
- Manages establishment of product care instructions.
- Works closely with Champion production departments to ensure product can be successfully embellished.
- Ensures product development adherence to all critical dates on company calendar.
- Communicates with domestic and overseas supply chain partners in regards to current and upcoming product.
- Leads process change and system implementation initiatives.
- Develops departmental strategies to support supply chain and overall Champion strategies and goals.
- Maintains an understanding of the Champion Teamwear customer, apparel industry and sports trends, as well as requirements for high school sports team uniforms.
- Periodically conduct trainings with the Sales team on fit and construction of garments.
- Oversees the development of fit blocks and grading standards.
- Builds and maintains relationships with Kansas State University Apparel and Textiles program though intern development, and communications with professors and class presentations and tours
- Supports design, inventory planning, logistics and other departments as needed.
- Occasional travel to manufacturing locations.
Minimum Education and Experience Required:
- Bachelor's degree in an apparel related field required.
- At least 6 years of experience in product development, design or technical design.
- At least 2 years managing a team in apparel design/manufacturing environment.
- Experience communicating with overseas production partners.
- Patternmaking and grading experience.
- Understanding of fit, construction, manufacturing techniques, and cost analysis.
- Experience with fabric and trim sourcing and evaluation.
- Experience managing color approvals.
- Knowledge of safety standards for children's apparel.
- Knowledge of industry standards for quality and testing procedures.
- Management and communication skills to work effectively with cross-functional partners.
- Strong problem predicting and problem solving skills.
- Organizational skills necessary to handle multiple tasks and reports within deadlines.
- Ability to think analytically and plan strategically to meet the needs of the business.
- Ability to see the big picture while managing numerous details.
- Must be an inspiring team player and partner.
- Must thrive in a very fast-paced environment, and juggle multiple projects concurrently.
- Proficiency with pc software including Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Suite, Gerber Accumark, & PLM. Intermediate skill level required in Excel.
- Experience working in 3D Product Development technologies a plus.
To qualify, applicants must be legally authorized to work in the United States and should not require now, or in the future, sponsorship for employment visa status.
Only applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process should contact us directly:
Telephone: [ Phone number blocked ] - URL blocked - click to apply
Email: [ Email removed ] - ||
Training And Development