Covia is a leading supplier of minerals and material solutions to the industrial and energy markets. The formation of Covia in 2018 is the most recent of many significant milestones in our shared history. Built from the merging of Fairmount Santrol and Unimin Corporation, Covia's rich legacy includes many achievements across industries and capital success through partnership. Our ability to deliver the right product, to the right place, at the right time, is unmatched. Just as strong is our commitment to building partnerships that help our customers succeed.
Quality and innovation are at the foundation of Covia; but our real strength is our people. Covia employs a diverse and highly-skilled team of professionals to convert natural minerals into engineered solutions for our customers. Every member of our team has a valuable opportunity to help shape our future and make a positive impact on the world around us through our commitment to the locations where we live and work.
Covia is looking for a dynamic Benefits Specialist who will have a positive impact on the Human Resources team at its Ottawa, IL location. The Benefits Specialist is responsible for assisting in the administration of all domestic health and welfare and retirement programs. This position must proactively develop and maintain technical knowledge in benefits and stay up to date on current trends and best practices.
The successful incumbent will have the following Key Accountabilities:
- Responsible for the implementation, integration, administration and communication of U.S. benefit programs
- Oversee administration of programs, benefit information systems and required records. Ensuring all plans remain in compliance with federal and ERISA laws and managed per plan guidelines
- Conducts new hire and open enrollment orientations, including remote locations
- Counsel and serve as a liaison to employees on various benefits plans, plan changes, and benefit claim issues
- Serves as subject matter expert and point of contact to HR Business Partners. This includes providing training and support on benefit plan offerings.
- Approves employee enrollments in benefits self-enrollment system
- Assist in all aspects of the annual open enrollment process, including preparing employee communication materials. Must work with internal and external resources to identify optimal media, creating specific, compelling and accurate employee plan materials.
- Ability to build benefits plan in HRIS in accordance to plan design
- Ensure compliance with ERISA and ACA
- Prepare and analyze monthly reports for ACA, conduct data audits with ACA reporting and rectify discrepancies
- Ensure processes and procedures are in place to capture and maintain consistent and accurate benefits data, including auditing and reporting. Engaged in the development and implementation of wellness initiatives.
- Serves as backup to the Benefits Coordinator
- Lead the administration of defined benefit pension and defined contribution (401(k)) plans ensuring compliance with ERISA and other laws and regulations
- Lead compliance activities of plan audits, preparation of 5500 filings, and non-discrimination testing
- Oversight for timely distribution of all required annual notices (SBC, SAR, AFN)
- Administer company executive life and disability insurance programs
- Lead for all leave management programs and administration (STD, LTD, FMLA)
The successful incumbent will have the following Minimum Qualifications:
- 5+ years proven HR/Benefits experience
- Bachelor's degree preferred
- Strong organizational and problem solving skills
- Ability to handle confidential and sensitive information appropriately
- Energetic with a strong sense of urgency and accuracy
- Excellent written communication skills
- Ability to prioitize and manage time effectively
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, emphasis in Excel, and preferred knowledge of ADP and UltiPro HRIS/Payroll
- Knowledge and understandng of benefits laws and legal compliance (i.e. FMLS, ERISA, ACA)
- Excellent Healthcare Benefits - medical, vision, dental
- 401K with company matching and fixed annual contributions
- Vacation + Paid Holidays
- Education Assistance
- Disability, Life / AD&D, and Long Term Care Insurances
- Employee Assistance Program
At Covia, we strive for and support a diverse workforce as we firmly believe this lays the foundation of our success. Our compelling culture supports inclusion, individuality and respect within the workplace. We are committed to providing employment opportunities to the most qualified candidate based on work-related factors and without regard to non-work-related factors including race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, disability, or veteran status.
The organization offers competitive salaries, advancement opportunities, and a full range of benefits.
An Equal Opportunity Employer
Human Resources Information System (Hris)