Under limited supervision, and according to established procedures, performs a variety of laboratory support procedures including specimen collection or phlebotomy, order entry, processing, point of care testing, and transport of laboratory specimens and materials. Performs blood sample collection at least 25% of scheduled hours. Interacts with patients, laboratory staff, and caregivers in a courteous and professional manner.
PRINCIPLE DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
* Prepares patient specimens for laboratory testing with particular emphasis on the preanalytic and post-analytic processes.
* Enters patient demographic and test order information into lab information systems according to training protocols and in a timely manner. Maintains confidentiality of patient information. Handles routine inquiries from patients and staff.
* Performs blood sample collection or phlebotomy as a primary duty including 25% or more of scheduled hours. Must demonstrate competency, productivity, and compassion on a sustained basis with all patients presenting for service.
* Understands and follows HFHS Standards of Excellence to support a culture of exceptional customer service skills when interacting with patients, co-workers.and caregivers
* Reviews laboratory request forms for complete demographic and order entry information and resolves discrepancies as needed. Exercises care in specimen handling and order entry to protect the identify and integrity of samples.
* Following successful completion of competency assessment. may perform processing, testing, and reporting of selected CLIA waived tests without direct supervision.
* Complies with established departmental and institutional policies and procedures. objectives, quality assessment and improvement programs. safety,environmental, and infection control standards. Helps ensure a safe work place. Reports any unsafe condition to supervisors.
* Assists in the training of employees and students. Attends and participates in department continuing education and in-service programs.
* May instruct patients and health care staff in the proper methods for lab specimen collection and handling.
* Within established parameters, may perform a variety of clerical tasks, transport specimens, prepare samples for testing, record temperatures, and use specified laboratory equipment.
* May perform other duties as requested or required to maintain operations.
* High schoolgraduate or equivalent required.
* Ability to follow written and verbal instructions and demonstrate exceptional customer service skills is required.
* A minimum of six months experience in phlebotomy is required. New employees must successfully complete competency evaluation and demonstrate safety and proficiency with all patient ages who are likely to present for service.
* For assignments requiring travel off-site, candidates must possess and maintain a valid Michigan motor vehicle license and reliable transportation with insurance.
* Experience in a hospital or clinic laboratory is preferred.
* Familiarity with medical terminology preferred.
* Must meet or exceed core customer service responsibilities, standards, and behaviors as outlined in the HFHS Customer Service policy as summarized below:
* Must practice the customer service skills as provided through ongoing training and in-services. 9. Must possess the following personal qualities:
* Be self-directed;
* Be flexible and committed to the team concept;
* Demonstrate teamwork, initiative, and willingness to learn;
* Possess interpersonal skills and communication skills;
* Be willing to instruct others; and
* Be open to new learning experiences.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORKING CONDITIONS:
Regularly exposed to infection from disease-bearing specimens, organs and tissues. Occasional exposure to radiation hazards. Exposures to odorous and/or toxic chemicals and specimens. Must be capable of standing and walking for prolonged periods to perform work duties. Must be able to perform computer order entry in an accurate manner according to peer based performance standards of productivity.
- Customer Service
- Hardworking And Dedicated