To begin the application process, please enter your email address.
Company Contact Info
- Donaldsonville, LA 70346
Sorry, we cannot save or unsave this job right now.
Report this Job
Saving Your Job Alert
Job Alert Saved!
Could not save Job Alert!
You have too many Job Alerts!
This email address has reached the maximum of 5 email alerts. To create a new alert, you will need to log into your email and unsubscribe from at least one.
Email Send Failed!
Director, Technical Services
CF Industries • Donaldsonville, LA
Posted 29 days ago
CF Industries is a global leader in transforming natural gas into nitrogen. The chemical processes we use ensure we have the nitrogen we need to support life on earth - from fertilizer that feeds the crops that feed the world to products that remove harmful emissions from industrial activities. Through our nine world-class manufacturing complexes and best-in-class distribution system, we serve agricultural and industrial customers. We invite you to be a part of our nearly 3,000 employees making a difference every day.
Department:AH0164AF Technical Services, Exempt
Function:Environmental, Health & Safety
Job Summary:As a key player in the Senior Site Leadership Team, the Director of Technical Services reports directly to the General Manager and plays an important role in the overall leadership of the site by coordinating all project, process, and plant engineering activities within the complex. This position has direct oversight of a team that ensures compliance with applicable codes and standards, including sustaining a world class mechanical integrity program to ensure the safe and reliable operations of the site. The successful candidate will possess excellent leadership, technical, and communication skills while fostering a healthy and collaborative relationship with other internal leaders and across the CF network.
As a department head, major areas of responsibility include executing strategies, managing systems, developing people and delivering effective communications that ensure the Donaldsonville site is operating within all applicable laws and regulations and in a safe, environmentally responsible manner. Key areas include mechanical integrity, process safety, strategic initiatives, technical support across the network, project execution, onsite repair oversight, fabrication inspection services, process engineering, I/E Support, and in-house design and drafting services.
- Ensure awareness of and compliance with corporate and facility EHS policies and standards throughout the department. Additionally, promote timely follow-up to action items from both internal and external investigations and audits.
- Actively support and participate in established corporate and facility-based Environment, Health, and Safety initiatives, and assist in the proposal and development of new initiatives as required.
- Support and enhance facility incident reduction initiatives through personal engagement and promoting individual accountability for safety performance within the Engineering Department and across the broader organization.
- Actively participate on the Crisis Communication Team.
- Have knowledge of and ensure compliance with all relevant codes and standards applicable to the facility (API, ASME, and PSM) and assure compliance with Mechanical Integrity requirements for the facility.
Capital and Budget Management
- Prepare and administer the annual department operating budget and actively participate in the facility budgeting process.
- Manage the site capital budget process, including leading process for budget item identification and prioritization, project justification, project scope development and submission for approval, and regular reporting of capital projects.
- Ensure the planning, organizing, and execution of the engineering and construction work necessary for capital projects. This includes technology assessment, detail engineering scope development, equipment specification development, vendor selection, construction/installation management and quality control/assurance, commissioning activities, and post-startup evaluation of benefits.
- Develop and maintain procedures and standard processes for execution of capital projects for all plant replacements, modifications and additions, and ensure that all work is delivered in strict conformity with appropriate design specifications and applicable code requirements.
- Provide technical support for the plant operation team to monitor energy efficiency, production, and equipment performance, and propose improvements/modifications to operation when needed.
- Ensure reporting and record keeping activities of the engineering group meet the requirements of internal and external stakeholders.
- Provide detailed engineering support to monitor progress of the site Management of Change (MOC) process.
- Participate in Process Hazard Analyses, both for new projects/processes as well as revalidation of studies from existing processes
- Assure the plant engineering team actively participates in plant routine maintenance and turnaround and/or plant shutdown activities with the purpose of maintaining the equipment and piping to assure reliability and the safety of employees, contractors, and the surrounding community. Develop, review, update, and approve site design specifications for equipment (fixed, rotating, and I/E).
- Manage and maintain site document control system.
- Provide direction and coordination of engineering staff resources to ensure the fulfillment of departmental goals, including definition of major areas of responsibility, training and development requirements, performance management, and corporate reporting requirements.
- Maintain a high ethical and professional standard to ensure a competent staff of technical and administrative personnel capable of achieving present and future objectives.
- Facilitate developmental opportunities for department employees and assist in the process of identifying and developing high potential individuals across the site.
- Actively mentor and provide guidance to appropriate personnel to assist in development of future supervisory and management candidates for operations, maintenance and engineering departments.
- Assist in the manpower planning process and the recruitment of required manpower resources for the engineering department.
- Select staff by determining leadership and technical skills needed and actively recruit the best talent. Foster continuous development of leadership and technical skills, and create a learning environment that encourages efficient and effective processes.
- Manage roles and responsibilities for the four Chief Engineers (Chief I/E, Chief Process, Chief Plant, and Chief Project Engineers). Establish clear expectations and hold staff accountable for those expectations. Determine spans of controls and authority levels. Ensure effective systems for reporting and feedback.
- Facilitate training programs that ensure all CF personnel are knowledgeable and understand key job requirements.
- Empower change agents to promote continuous innovations and improvements.
- Set the communication goal and objectives, identify critical audiences for communications, and develop key personalized messages that reinforce the strategy, goals, and priorities utilizing both internal and external communication resources.
- Develop effective communication channels, techniques, and tools that will reach the target audience including employees, contractors, and visitors with the key messages. Understand the effectiveness and limitations of each channel, technique or tool. Ensure that effective communication occurs day-to-day as well as during emergency situations. Develop feedback forums to promote multidirectional communication.
- Foster employee engagement through communications of the shared culture and vision. Engage employees and contractors in their work area to understand and improve their unique situations. Promote a culture of open communication and continuous learning through sharing of all EHS incidents/near misses.
- Communicate risk information to enable other site leaders to make better decisions and better perform their duties.
- Participate as required in government, industry and community committees to provide an external forum of communication for representing the interests of the facility.
Position Scope/ Contribution:
This position has a significant impact upon the environmental, personal safety and process safety performance and culture of the facility. The Donaldsonville site accounts for nearly half of the company’s total production output and is the largest nitrogen manufacturing facility in the world. Ensuring the site is not only operating within all applicable laws and regulations but is driving continuous improvement is critical to success. This position provides technical leadership across the network and is also responsible for the successful execution of a number of strategic projects that have a direct impact to the company’s bottom line.
Understands and complies with established departmental processes and procedures designed to support internal controls efforts. Identifies and brings to the attention of senior management internal controls deficiencies.
Required competencies include:
Strong verbal and written communication skills, demonstrated leadership capabilities, strong change management skills, strong analytical and decision-making abilities, and ability to interact with all levels of the organization, from hourly employees to senior executives of the company.
Successful incumbents will have:
- An engineering degree in a related field is required.
- A minimum of 15 years of related petrochemical experience in engineering and project management with demonstrated knowledge of PSM regulations. Experience in nitrogen fertilizer manufacturing is highly preferable.
- At least 10 years of direct management experience in an industrial plant setting.
- Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook.
- The ability to acquire a Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC).
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by persons assigned to this job. These statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel in this position.
- CF Industries is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
- Employees in the US can learn more about their rights by viewing the federal "EEO is the Law" poster (PDF) and others as detailed below:
Employee Polygraph Protection Act
- Employees in Canada can learn more about their rights by viewing the “Canadian Human Rights Act”.
If you need any assistance seeking a job opportunity at CF Industries, or if you need reasonable accommodation with the application process, please call 847-405-2400 or contact us at email@example.com.