To begin the application process, please enter your email address.
Company Contact Info
- Rochester Hills, MI
Sorry, we cannot save or unsave this job right now.
Report this Job
Email Send Failed!
Senior Product Engineer- Clutch Engineering
American Axle & Manufacturing • Rochester Hills, MI
Posted 1 day ago
Get facts about other applicants with a CareerBuilder Account
We are AAM. We have the POWER to move the world.
At AAM, we're looking for associates who push boundaries and drive solutions for the future. Innovators. Thinkers. Dreamers. Doers. No matter the role or function, every associate is a piece of what makes AAM great. We’re growing and building #TeamAAM to be the best. Join us!
Senior Product Engineer- Clutch Engineering
General Purpose of Position: Achieve AAM’s interests/goals and meet the customer’s requirements through design, development, testing, and control of major product engineering projects.
Major Duties / Requirements:
- Responsible for design and development of clutch components for AAM’s All-Wheel Drive (AWD), Torque Transfer Device (TTD), electronic and mechanical Limited Slip Differential Applications (eLSD and mLSD) applications
- Adhere to AAM’s Product Development Process through all phases of the program
- Lead component level engineering activities to meet product requirements and program timing defined by customer/systems engineering/application teams
- Lead and/or Support Engineering Incident Reports (EIRs)/8Ds/etc. to determine root cause, establish corrective actions, prevent recurrence and document lessons learned
- Coordinate and manage component level DFMEA through all phases of program
- Lead component level DVP&R, Support system level DVP&R
- Lead Friction Material Assessment for AAM’s AWD, TTD, eLSD and mLSD applications
- Establish and/or support AAM standard tests for friction plates and lubricant package assessment. Provide assessment of clutch durability, wear, friction behavior in various operating conditions (muPVT), friction change through life and NVH characteristics
- Define performance requirements to supplier. Lead supplier communication and development activities
- Lead Clutch Subsystem Design for AAM’s AWD, TTD, eLSD and mLSD applications
- Perform clutch sizing calculations based on packaging and torque capacity requirements. Define friction material, number of friction & separator plates
- Define / design inner and outer clutch basket architecture
- Define / design mechanical separation methodology, preload springs and apply plate
- Define optimized designs and manufacturing methods for performance (response time, accuracy, NVH, durability) and efficiency (drag loss).
- Support completion of Clutch Engineering ADVP&R per program timing. Submit requests for CAE analysis (contact pressure, thermal analysis, etc.), spline stress analysis, etc.
- Provide guidance for lubrication requirements (lube flow rate and path)
- Ensure design meets thermal capacity requirements per customer duty cycle
- Lead / Support development of AAM Design Best Practice for clutch components
- Establish clutch plate and clutch subsystem design best practices based on application type, lubrication type, performance requirements (response time, accuracy, NVH, durability) and efficiency (drag loss)
- Establish cleanliness best practice
- Provide clutch friction and wear behavior input to software and vehicle dynamics team to develop device controls / calibration parameters. Torque accuracy and response time requirements must be met in green condition, post-break-in and through life of the clutch.
- Provide technical direction to CAD designers, manufacturing/process engineers, suppliers, analysts, test engineers, etc.
- Lead and /or support documentation, presentations and attendance in customer meetings, supplier meetings, design reviews, peer reviews and management report-outs
- Flexibility to Perform Hands-On Development Work, Teardown Analysis in Lab and Workshop Environment. Only on as-needed basis. Adhere to AAM safety protocols and equipment.
- Bachelor Degree in Mechanical Engineering
- 3-5 years experience with Driveline / Powertrain Component Design and Development.
Position will locate to AAM's Advanced Technology Development Center located in Detroit, MI in the 2nd quarter of 2018.
About American Axle & Manufacturing
For over 20 years, customers around the world have entrusted AAM to design, engineer, validate and manufacture driveline, metal forming, powertrain, and casting technologies for automotive, commercial and industrial markets. Today, we are a premier global Tier 1 automotive supplier with broad capabilities across multiple product lines to deliver efficient, powerful and innovative solutions for our customers. We’ve earned the trust of our suppliers and our customers through our steadfast commitments to quality, operational excellence and technology leadership.
AAM delivers power. We deliver power literally through vehicle components, systems and innovation, but we also deliver power in ways unseen. We power our associates, their families, and the communities in which we operate. Our global team of over 25,000 associates has a clear vision of where AAM is going and how we are going to get there. After all, they are the reason we are a leader in the automotive industry. We are powering the future. We are AAM. Move with us, and join #TeamAAM.AAM will not discriminate against any Associate or applicant for employment because of age, race, color, gender, religion, weight, height, marital status, sexual orientation, genetic history or information, gender identity or expression, disability, protected veteran status, national origin, or other characteristic protected by law. AAM will take affirmative action to ensure that applicants are employed, and that Associates are treated equally during employment, without regard to their age, race, color, gender, religion, weight, height, marital status, sexual orientation, genetic history or information, gender identity or expression, disability, protected veteran status, national origin, or other characteristic protected by law. For the Disabled Job Seeker: We offer reasonable accommodations for qualified disabled individuals who are applicants for employment. To request assistance or accommodations, please e-mail [Click Here to Email Your Resumé] . AAM is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.