About WGU Institutional Research
The Institutional Research (IR) department at WGU serves as the heart of research, data analytics, and data-driven decision making at Western Governors University. Our motto is Free the Data. The IR department at WGU is a group of talented data scientists, data engineers, analysts, and researchers who are passionate about helping students reach their highest potential through education. At WGU, the IR team has deep expertise in analytical methods, machine learning, learning analytics, and big data. We are fun loving technical folks with a passion for data science and education.
The IR department prides itself in being a collaborative, non-competitive group that is encouraged to innovate and use the data science technologies that are best for each project. Current tool sets of the group include Databricks, Oracle SQL Server, Cognos, Tableau, Python, R, and SAS. The internal career path for this role leads towards roles such as a Senior Data Scientist or IT Manager.
About the Academic, Community of Care, Enrollment/Evaluation and Student Services Research Team
The Academic, Community of Care, Enrollment/Evaluation and Student Services Research Team (ACES) in WGU’s Institutional Research department provides actionable, useful, and enlightening analysis supporting many business stakeholder groups across WGU, including Colleges, Business Process Improvement, Program Development, Faculty, Student Success, Enrollment, etc. We perform a wide variety of tasks, ranging from pulling data to complex analyses and interactive visualizations. We are a dynamic team of curious, open minded, data driven people who are excited about WGU’s mission to provide affordable, competency based post-secondary education that improve students’ lives.
About the Academic, Community of Care, Enrollment/Evaluation and Student Services Research – Research Analyst Position
Are you passionate about data, the scientific method and business education? Does the idea of writing fun and complex SQL code bring a smile to your face? Do numbers speak to you and tell their stories? Does creating stunning data visualizations come to you naturally? Do you enjoy statistics and analytics? Are you on Team Cats or Team Dogs? Do you enjoy working with co-workers who have diverse hobbies, interests, and backgrounds? Does a “good” dad joke make you want to simultaneously laugh and cringe?
The WGU Department of Institutional Research (IR) is looking for a research analyst to provide analytic support in the form of translating business questions into technical reporting requirements, writing code to create database objects to support reporting requirements, creating accurate, useful, and timely visualizations, analysis, and reporting for university KPIs and external reporting. This could include day to day activities such as using Tableau or Power BI to create data visualizations that provide insights into college performance, writing code to use APIs to pull information into a data warehouse, creating machine learning models to identify at risk students, automating reporting data pulls and collaborating in process improvement sessions.
- This full-time position would work in-office at our Salt lake City (Utah) headquarters, with a traditional working schedule (Monday-Friday, 8am-5pm MDT)
- Bachelor's degree in Statistics, Economics, Computer Science, applied mathematics discipline, business, or other related degrees
- 1+ years of experience in data analytics or business intelligence
- Professional or project experience in SQL programming (Oracle PSQL, Postgres, MSQL)
- Professional or project experience in data visualization (Tableau, PowerBI, Cognos)
- Experience with time series forecasting and predictive modeling
- Experience collecting and/or using qualitative data (ex. surveys, focus groups, interviews)
- Experience in data validation and testing to analyze, debug and fix issues
- Experience understanding, manipulating and querying large data sets with complex file structures
- Experience using a data warehouse
- Experience explaining complex data and research issues in a professional manner with technical and non-technical colleagues
- Experience using Databricks
- Experience in R, Python,.Scala
Tableau (Busines Intelligence Software)