If you are located within Central, Mountain or Pacific Time Zone, you will have the flexibility to telecommute* (work from home) as you take on some tough challenges.
Optum is a global organization that delivers care, aided by technology to help millions of people live healthier lives. The work you do with our team will directly improve health outcomes by connecting people with the care, pharmacy benefits, data and resources they need to feel their best. Come make an impact on the communities we serve as we help advance health equity on a global scale. Here, you will find talented peers, comprehensive benefits, a culture guided by diversity and inclusion, career growth opportunities and your life’s best work.SM
As a Patient Support Center Representative, you will be responsible for acting as a patient advocate to help resolve patient issues pertaining to claims, benefit referrals, physicians and access. You will also be responsible for managing high volume of inbound calls (75+calls per day), enter patient information into information systems, and resolve caller’s issues with outstanding customer service skills. In addition, serve as a liaison between the patient and other departments and Optum sites.
This position is full-time (40 hours/week) Monday to Friday. Employees are required to have flexibility to work any of our 8-hour shift schedules during our normal business hours of 08:00am – 05:00pm. It may be necessary, given the business need, to work occasional weekends and overtime.
*All Telecommuters will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy.
- Meet the performance goals established for the position in the areas of patient satisfaction, accuracy, quality, and attendance
- Meet department standards to adherence metric. Adherence metric is evaluated daily
- Consistently exhibits behavior and communication skills that demonstrate Optum's commitment to superior customer service, including quality, care and concern with every internal and external customer
- Multi-task utilizing double monitors for data entry, phone etiquette, and use of resources while maintaining proper guidelines
- Provides services to internal and external customers involving the exchange of complex and sensitive information while acting as patient advocate
- Assists other Patient Support Center Representatives and Supervisors with daily paperwork load as needed to resolve and/or document patient issues
- Recognizes financial, medical and legal risks based on data collected during customer interactions and follows appropriate procedures
- Utilizes Optum systems to resolve customer needs such as appointments, authorizations, claims, invoices, eligibility, benefits, appeals, TARs
- Translates oral information into concise and accurate written documentation per guidelines
- Assists new or potential members in the choice of PCP and supplies general information about medical group
- Pages clinicians and assists Telehealth Nurses as necessary (e.g., arranging DME, transportation and HH)
- Data enters PCP changes into the system and processes paperwork as necessary
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- High school diploma / GED (or higher) OR equivalent experience
- 2+ years of working in a customer service-based role
- Must pass Patient Support Center assessment
- Ability to demonstrate strong proficiency using MS suite and other systems to include navigating multiple chat channels within Microsoft Teams
- Ability to work rotating shifts
- Reside within Central, Mountain or Pacific Time Zone
- Required to have a dedicated work area established that is separated from other living areas and provides information privacy
- Ability to keep all company sensitive documents secure (if applicable)
- Must live in a location that can receive a UnitedHealth Group approved high-speed internet connection or leverage an existing high-speed internet service
- 1+ years of working in a healthcare setting
- Bilingual fluency in English and any of the following languages: Spanish, Russian, Mandarin, Cantonese, Korean or other
Careers with Optum. Our objective is to make health care simpler and more effective for everyone. With our hands at work across all aspects of health, you can play a role in creating a healthier world, one insight, one connection and one person at a time. We bring together some of the greatest minds and ideas to take health care to its fullest potential, promoting health equity and accessibility. Work with diverse, engaged and high-performing teams to help solve important challenges.
At UnitedHealth Group, our mission is to help people live healthier lives and make the health system work better for everyone. We believe everyone–of every race, gender, sexuality, age, location and income–deserves the opportunity to live their healthiest life. Today, however, there are still far too many barriers to good health which are disproportionately experienced by people of color, historically marginalized groups and those with lower incomes. We are committed to mitigating our impact on the environment and enabling and delivering equitable care that addresses health disparities and improves health outcomes — an enterprise priority reflected in our mission.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug - free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.