"All persons newly hired for employment by RiseBoro must provide proof of being fully vaccinated by the first day of employment, except for those who obtain an exception due to medical or religious reasons through the reasonable accommodation process."
ORGANIZATION & PROJECT OVERVIEW
RiseBoro's mission is to unleash the potential of communities to thrive, no matter the odds. Through our unique model of holistic community revitalization, we work to eradicate the conditions that foster generational poverty within historically marginalized communities by offering services designed to connect, uplift, and support. While a history of redlining, followed by rapid gentrification has contributed to unhealthy, poor, ghettoized neighborhoods, we believe that by bringing a food and economic justice lens to our work, we can contribute to greater health, wealth, and empowerment in historically marginalized and oppressed communities.
The Our Food team at RiseBoro invites our communities to build a vibrant, robust food system with and for all of us. Food is central to how we live our lives - our work, our health, and our neighborhoods. The majority of workers in this country are food workers - mostly Black and brown and underpaid. A handful of corporations make massive profits - collapsing the environment in the process - and wealthy communities thrive, while working class communities and communities of color have little access to healthy and affordable options. Our food should be the opposite. Our food should keep our communities healthy, should give our people dignified work, drive a just transition through the climate crisis, and bring our neighborhoods to life. Our food should be a source of joy, connections, health, and solidarity. Our food should build community, knowledge, power, and self-determination. Our food should be ours. From building farmers markets and urban farms to training and supporting cooperative businesses, we invite community members to take control of our food - to create a food system that is just and equitable, that allows the people and places we care about to thrive, that works for all of us.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
RiseBoro Community Partnership seeks a part-time, seasonal Farmers Market Operator (Operator) to assist with three local Famers Markets and our weekly Farm Share program, Cosecha. The farmer's market duties include loading and transporting market inventory, customer service and onsite vendor-relations, set-up and break-down of tents/tables, merchandising local goods, operating point-of-sale equipment, inventory management, end-of-market accounting and vendor data collection.
RiseBoro Farmers Markets
* Load and transport market inventory, set-up and breakdown tents/tables, merchandise local goods, support vendors
* Process SNAP/EBT token, credit card, and cash transactions
* Assist vendors
* Demonstrate set-up protocols to new vendors in accordance with market rules
* Remind vendor of weights, signage, spacing protocols, as applicable
* Support the record keeping, distribution, and collecting of SNAP/EBT tokens & Health Bucks
* Collect vendor fees & SNAP/EBT tokens at the end of each market day
* Carefully complete Health Buck logs at start and end of each market day
* Complete a daily log of sales and other market-day information
* Assist Coordinator with vendor/farmer data collection at the end of market days
* Participate in monthly Our Food staff meetings
* Highly organized and detail oriented
* At least conversational Spanish is required, fluency is preferred
* Driver's license strongly preferred; ability to drive a box truck preferred;
* Ability to stand for long hours and work in all weather conditions
* Ability to work on weekends and early mornings
* Familiarity with cash, EBT/SNAP and credit card transactions is ideal
* Interest in food justice and community health
* Experience with record-keeping
* Experience using Microsoft Office, especially Word, Outlook, Excel, and/or Google equivalents
* Positive attitude, entrepreneurial spirit and superior customer service
* Experience with community outreach, organizing and facilitating educational workshops
* Familiarly with Bushwick and surrounding neighborhoods
* High School Diploma preferred
EEO/Affirmative Action Policy Statement
It is the policy of RiseBoro to provide equal employment opportunity to all employees and applicants for employment. No individual will be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, age, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship status, political or union affiliation, marital or partnership status, sex, sexual orientation or affectional preference, gender identity, familial status, genetic information or predisposition or characteristic, disability, status as a victim of domestic violence, status as a veteran or member of the U.S. military and related obligations, or any other characteristic protected by law. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to, recruitment, hiring, job placement, compensation, benefits, training and apprenticeship, employee development, promotion, demotion, discipline, transfer, lay-off and recall, and termination. RiseBoro makes reasonable accommodations based on religion and/or disability as required by law, and requests for accommodation are to be directed to the Human Resources Department.
- Community Health
- Customer Service
- Data Collection