At KING 5 we stand for truth. We are also home to employees who demonstrate an urgent, passionate and unmatched commitment to lead and revolutionize information delivery across all platforms. We are looking for an Assignment Editor to join our fast-paced and dynamic newsroom. This position is based in Seattle, WA. The ideal candidate would be comfortable being responsible for content generation and management as well as social media content, breaking news, follow up stories and monitoring incoming newsroom phone calls.
- Discover and produce unique, local and engaging content daily and publish to multiple platforms
- Help provide editorial guidance and manage logistics to execute daily newsroom content
- Monitor a wide variety of public safety radio systems and USG for breaking news. Must have knowledge of their operations, codes, and basic use
- Must be able to learn specific political, business, and other high-profile people in our area
- Understand audience insights and metrics, apply to content planning and execution
- Collaborate with other TEGNA stations, NBC, affiliates, and Foreign partners (Global TV) to search trending content and publish compelling stories, photos and video from our corporate network across web, mobile and social media platforms
Here's what you need:
- Sound news judgment with the ability to work under tight deadlines and in stressful situations in a 24/7 newsroom
- React aggressively to breaking news while maintaining calm and control on the desk
- Effective written and verbal communications, conflict resolution and interpersonal skills
- Ability to gather and distribute accurate, compelling content in an organized manner
- Ability to use multiple social media platforms to identify stories that will trend well with audiences
- Understanding of court systems and documents, including how to search and locate criminal and civil documents to be distributed to news and digital producers
- Emphasis on long term story planning, including keeping track of big stories, potential follow ups, and organizing a newsroom calendar
- Understanding and/or willingness to learn basics of digital producing, including but not limited to, writing and publishing local content and breaking news to the station's website-drafting and publishing posts for the station's social media accounts
- Must be willing to work a verity of shifts, including nights, weekends, overtime, and breaking news situations as needed
- Knowledge of the Western Washington area a plus.
• College Degree OR A combination of school and on the job experience
TEGNA Inc. (NYSE: TGNA) is an innovative media company that serves the greater good of our communities. With 49 television stations and two radio stations in 41 markets, TEGNA delivers relevant content and information to consumers across platforms. It is the largest owner of top 4 affiliates in the top 25 markets, reaching approximately one-third of all television households nationwide. Each month, TEGNA reaches 50 million adults on-air and approximately 30 million across its digital platforms. TEGNA has been consistently honored with the industry's top awards, including Edward R. Murrow, George Polk, Alfred I. DuPont and Emmy Awards. TEGNA also delivers innovative and unparalleled solutions for advertisers through TEGNA Marketing Solutions (TMS). TMS is a one-stop shop that helps businesses thrive through an unmatched suite of services and solutions that reach consumers across television, email, social and over-the-top (OTT) platforms, including Premion, TEGNA's OTT advertising service. Across platforms, TEGNA tells empowering stories, conducts impactful investigations and delivers innovative marketing solutions. For more information, visit URL blocked - click to apply
TEGNA Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We encourage and consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, enrollment in college or vocational school, political affiliation, veteran status or genetic information.
Search (Computer Science)