We are seeking for a motivated Research Assistant interested in working on muscle development in research projects relevant to muscle growth impairments. The Research Assistant will assist with metabolic, cellular, molecular approaches from patient-derived muscle samples and in muscle stem cell animal models to help dissect processes of muscle impairment and therapy outcomes in patient populations. Prior experience in a wet lab environment, handling of animals, and large data is highly recommended. The Research Assistant will work effectively in a shared lab space (Biologics Lab) to assure efficiency of workflow, consistently demonstrating support of the SRALab statement of Mission and Philosophy by striving for excellence, contributing to the team efforts and showing respect and compassion for patients and their families, fellow employees, and all others with whom there is contact at or in the interest of the institute.
The Research Assistant will demonstrate SRALab Core Attributes: Communication, Accountability, Flexibility/Adaptability, Judgment/Problem Solving, Customer Service and SRAlab Values (Hope, Compassion, Discovery, Collaboration, & Commitment to Excellence) while fulfilling job duties.
- Help to execute and interpret research pertaining to muscle stem cells in patients and related animal models using cell and molecular biology approaches.
- Assist and conduct experiments on mitochondrial function in muscle biopsies from humans and animal models.
- Prepare and maintain buffers for mitochondrial function assays using respirometry.
- Handle flow cytometry (FACS) to sort different types of cells for projects relevant to the Biologics Lab.
- Create/modify and submit protocols with institutional review board (IRB) and institutional animal care and use committee (IACUC).
- Explain research and clinical studies to patients and family members, request participation and obtain informed consent for collection of muscle biopsies and other biologics.
- Support mouse colony maintenance and genotyping.
- Help to develop, submit and publish the results of research projects in high quality journals and to present data to public conferences/seminars when needed.
- Participate to weekly lab meetings, journal clubs and seminars.
- Build and maintain a well-organized and accountable journal of own laboratory protocols, experiments, results and analyses.
- Support other duties that may be assigned in the best interest of the Biologics Lab.
- Report directly to the assigned Principal Investigator, Dr Dayanidhi
- Bachelor degree in Molecular and Cellular Biology, Biochemistry, or related scientific field.
- Relevant wet lab and mouse handling experience.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English.
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills needed to participate as a creative member of a growing research team.
- Ability to exchange ideas and to work closely with clinicians, physical and occupational therapists, patients and professional organizations.
- Willingness to network within the Institute and to independently strengthen/develop new external collaborations.
- Ability to timely plan and to coordinate project completions.
Position open until filled. Please submit a cover letter addressing the above requirements along with a resume in PDF format.
About Shirley Ryan AbilityLab
Shirley Ryan AbilityLab is the global leader in physical medicine and rehabilitation for adults and children with the most severe, complex conditions. By joining our team, you will be part of our life-changing Mission and Vision. You’ll work in a truly inclusive environment where diversity and equity are championed through words and actions. You’ll contribute to an innovative culture that is second to none, one that embraces curiosity, discovery and compassion. You’ll play a role in something that’s never been done before as we integrate science and clinical care to help patients achieve better, faster outcomes — as we Advance Human Ability, together.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
Shirley Ryan AbilityLab is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
To apply for this position, please click "APPLY NOW"
and you will be sent to our online application.
We ask you to please take a few minutes to fill out the application.
We look forward to speaking with you soon.
- Big Data
- Customer Service