STORY at Macy’s is a store to explore, an ever-changing retail concept that brings a new theme to life every couple of months, through a mix of new products and events for all ages. Think: kids crafting sessions, mixology class, makeup tutorials, and meet and greets with your favorite author. We’re also the best spot to explore fun, tasty, colorful, playful, surprising, gifts for everyone - including Y-O-U. We’re very big on supporting small businesses, obsessed with great stories and we believe that entrepreneurs have so much to tell us all.
ABOUT THE ROLE
Our Director of Merchandising role exists to develop and execute a strategic merchandising vision. This role is unlike a typical Director of Merchandising role because of our unique narrative-driven merchandising approach. You will source differentiated vendors and products within a framework to create thoughtfully curated assortments. You’ll be challenged to research and develop by-store and channel assortment plans and allocation strategies using non-traditional tools and metrics to do so. And you’ll also be part of a cross-functional team of expert colleagues working in new ways—more agile and more adaptive—so throw the old playbook away. A typical day for this role might include going to market, concepting a merchandise strategy and leveraging technical expertise to identify opportunities, develop assortment plans, and implement allocation strategies and regular collaboration with our Vendor Experience Manager, Visual Merchandising, Director of Operations and Director of Training. In the end, it’s all about the vendors, the product and the customers. This role reports to the Brand Experience Officer.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Partner with creative ideation and creative services for cohesive and compelling assortment direction; co-author assortment strategy for various themes in collaboration
- Lead the development of assortment and assortment planning that supports the high-level assortment vision and maximizes sales, margin, and turnover.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams on business strategy to determine specific category and product behaviors to build foundation for allocation strategies.
- Continuously look for new outlets to discover new partners (eg. trade shows, consumer events etc).
- Partner with Macy’s merchants to include and integrate
- Lead team of merchants to develop and execute the strategy of each STORY theme.
- Coach, develop, and provide feedback to team.
- Develop and maintain strong vendor relationships.
- Regular, dependable attendance & punctuality.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
THINGS YOU’LL NEED
- Bachelor's degree required.
- Vision and passion—to see the future of retail and want to create it.
- 12+ Years of experience with buying, merchandising and planning.
- Entrepreneurial mindset and the ability to adapt quickly.
- Resilience, tenacity, high energy. Able to rapidly bounce back from adversity.
- Strong communication, both in-person and through modern tools and platforms.
- Ability to attract, develop and retain top talent.
- Deep empathy and emotional intelligence.
- Ability to inspire others to action through influence and advice.
- Cross-functional exposure and experience in past roles.
- Financial and operational acumen.
- Comfort operating in non-hierarchical cultures and navigating hierarchical ones.
- This position involves regular walking, standing, hearing, and talking. May occasionally involve stooping, kneeling, or crouching. Involves close vision, color vision, depth perception, and focus adjustment.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule based on department and store/company needs.
ONE MORE THING
We love people with special sauce! Do you juggle, run marathons, plan secret dinner parties? Be sure to let us know!
URL blocked - click to applyis a first-of-its-kind retail concept that changes like a gallery, takes the point of view of a magazine, and sells things like a store. Our mission is to create accessible discovery at the intersection of community and small business.
This job description is not all inclusive. In addition, Macy's, Inc. reserves the right to amend this job description at any time. Macy’s, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment.
Coaching And Mentoring