FirstEnergy at a Glance
FirstEnergy (NYSE: FE) is dedicated to safety, reliability and operational excellence. Headquartered in Akron, Ohio, FirstEnergy includes one of the nation’s largest investor-owned electric systems, more than 24,000 miles of transmission lines that connect the Midwest and Mid-Atlantic regions, and a diverse generating fleet with a total capacity of nearly 5,000 megawatts.
About the Opportunity
This is an open position with FirstEnergy Nuclear Operating Company, a subsidiary of FirstEnergy Corp. [FEG]
The Nuclear Air Operated Valve / Motor Operated Valve Engineer acts as the Fleet subject matter expert for mechanical equipment, primarily motor/air operated valves, condensers/heat exchangers, chillers, compressors, large rotating equipment. This individual provides leadership in the creation of uniform procedures, best practices and processes that will be used to achieve lower cost, increased safety and superior operation of all the fleet nuclear plants by introducing the processes and championing the utilization of them in day-to-day routines by plant engineering personnel. This professional develops and drives the implementation of standardized fleet engineering processes.
- Interacting with site engineering personnel to provide them with expert technical assistance for planned and unplanned equipment maintenance, outages, proactive recommendations on long-term maintenance and technology improvements, alternative technical and low-cost solutions for current and future equipment operation and maintenance.
- Providing technical expertise in both long-term equipment reliability and improvement initiatives, as well as provide day-to-day technical support to the sites.
- Developing solutions to complex problems, assisting in both long-term and short-term strategies.
- Obtaining and maintaining technical knowledge, as well as interfaces with industry peers.
- Providing site engineering with policies, practices and strategies that are uniform, consistent and result in common best practices at all the plants and drive reliability, availability and safety in the area of discipline- specific components and equipment at each plant.
- Consulting with INPO and NEI to determine industry best practices and where they are being implemented.
- Representing FENOC in industry activities related to the process.
- Consulting with appropriate site section managers and to assess gaps between the current processes and industry best practices.
- Developing new standard FENOC processes and prepares appropriate documents.
- Providing assessments of the health of assigned components, including trends and the status of the development of new processes and procedures.
- Developing and maintain life cycle management plans for selected components.
- Obtaining and maintain knowledge of predictive maintenance techniques and support the sites to optimize equipment performance.
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering (Nuclear, Mechanical, or Chemical preferred) from an ABET-accredited institution is required.
- Minimum of 8 years of professional-level engineering experience in the nuclear industry or 10 years of professional-level engineering experience in a non-nuclear industry is required.
- Professional Engineer registration is preferred.
- Possesses excellent written and verbal communication skills, including presentation skills.
- Demonstrated leadership experience as well as the ability to perform assigned tasks with limited supervision.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office tools, including Excel, Word, Access, and PowerPoint.
Benefits, Compensation & Workforce Diversity
At FirstEnergy, employees are key to our success. We depend on their talents to meet the challenges of our changing business environment. We are committed to rewarding individual and team efforts through our total rewards philosophy which includes competitive pay plus incentive compensation, a company-sponsored pension plan, 401(k) savings plan with matching employer contribution, a choice of medical, prescription drug, dental, vision, and life insurance programs, as well as skills development training with tuition reimbursement. Please visit our website at www.firstenergycorp.com to learn more about all of our employee rewards programs. FirstEnergy proudly supports workforce diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with a disability. No recruiters or agencies without a previously signed contract. Unable to sponsor or transfer H-1B visas at this time.
Safety is a core value for FirstEnergy and is essential to all of our business activities. We ensure employees have the tools, information, and processes to perform their duties in a manner that assures safety for themselves, their co-workers, our customers and the public. Our goals are to provide a safe work environment, to maintain an accident-free, injury-free workplace, and to promote and maintain public safety. To meet these goals, we dedicate ourselves to achieving world-class safety standards.
FirstEnergy Human Resources Team
Engineer In Training
Engineering Design Process