Acquire and entitle the land necessary to meet division goals and projections. Performs land department with land acquisition, due diligence, zoning, preliminary platting, preliminary engineering and budgeting of subdivision development. Assists with project final engineering, platting, associated schedules and project bidding/construction.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Prospect for potential land acquisition opportunities. Provide information for, and participate in the preparation of preliminary proforma financial analysis for land opportunities.
- Negotiate terms and specific language to be included in purchase and sale agreements. Investigates land contracts and identifies problems and solutions for titles/surveys.
- Manage the preparation and approval of all entitlement documents required for new land purchases.
- Conducts environmental analysis of wetlands, streams, etc and subsurface soils analysis i.e. water, rock, peat, soft soils.
- Examines site plan development with respect to Topo, floodplain, utilities, storm water, sanitary sewer, storm drainage and water main feasibility; Prepares preliminary project budget.
- Manage land purchases through entitlement processes.
- Participates in land analysis with land committee; annexation, order survey and follow approval with lawyers.
- Attend zoning public hearings and assist with technical issues with respect to site utilities, floodplain, and environmental concerns.
- Regularly attend City Council and Planning Commission meetings.
- Provide information for and participate in the coordination of land acquisition packages (proforma's) for corporate approval.
- Knowledge of homebuilding and land development costs.
- Knowledge of building and permit fees.
- Understand market trends, pricing, growth and supply.
- Actively monitor key performance dates.
- Review escrow instructions and closing documents.
- Review title reports, and coordinate title objection letters to sellers.
- Review design guidelines.
- Recommend product styles, square footages and pricing.
- Prepare summarization of proposed acquisitions.
- Schedule preliminary plat with engineers and planners, solve issues and shepherd through government process.
- Final engineering of subdivision, resolve utility, grading, storm water issue and shepherd government approval.
- Coordinate final plat approvals and shepherd government approvals.
- Address construction issues relating to project bidding and construction and assist project supervisors in solving problems. Award contracts to land development contractors.
- Attend weekly meeting with engineer and update schedule of preliminary engineering, preliminary platting and address construction issues; Review budgets and costs.
- Field requests from potential land sellers, real estate agents and forward to Land Acquisition Manager.
- Assist with special projects as requested and perform additional duties as required.
Minimum Education Experience:
Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering or equivalent project engineer experience. At least 10 years experience in design of subdivisions within local jurisdictions.
Skills and Abilities:
Excellent verbal and written communication skills for interaction with a variety of people inside and outside of organization. Decisiveness and good judgment, problem-solving and analytical skills to act with authority and take approved risks in an environment with little direction from others. Working knowledge of given market and geographical locations.
Must be able to walk potential site before and during construction, attend evening meetings, and travel to other division locations. Travel required.