KBR (formerly SGT) has an immediate need for an energetic and dynamic Computer Operator in support of the United States Geological Survey (USGS) Earth Resources Observation & Science (EROS) Center (URL blocked - click to applyURL blocked - click to apply) hear Sioux Falls, SD. KBR and its teammates provide engineering and operational support to the USGS EROS Center.
The Landsat A&P computer operator is responsible for providing active control and monitoring oversight of hardware and software resources that provide data ingest, archive, production and distribution services associated with Landsat 1 thru 8. The A&P computer operator work is typically performed in computer rooms and includes activities such as archive and production, analysis, troubleshooting, and monitoring day-to-day operations. The A&P computer operator supports the Landsat A&P Operations Lead and Operations Analyst and at times works under limited supervision.
- Communicate and coordinate activities and technical status with the Landsat A&P Operations Lead, Landsat A&P Operations Analyst, and other Landsat Project team members, as appropriate.
- Support phone calls as to the status of systems, customer orders, and day-to-day operations.
- Operate system consoles and peripheral components of all computer systems in Landsat A&P Operations.
- Possess a general working knowledge of utility programs and Graphical User Interfaces (GUls).
- Become knowledgeable in the operating commands and characteristics of the various computer systems.
- Obtain a basic understanding of error conditions and system recovery techniques.
- Become knowledgeable of operational procedures and scheduling of production applications.
- Learn, apply, and ensure correctness of operational procedures.
- Perform routine system boots, power down and power up procedures.
- Perform routine visual assessment on daily QC images.
- Generate customer products on disk storage.
- Assist in maintaining consumables needed for normal operations.
- Operate personal, small, and large scale computers.
- Ensure proper process is followed and documentation is properly maintained.
- Participate in peer reviews.
- Assist in the retrieval of LGAC data off of HDT media.
- Support system anomaly investigations and troubleshooting activities affecting the Landsat A&P systems.
- Minimum of one year of data processing/computer operations or related experience, or no experience with an Associate degree.
- Experience operating data warehousing systems, mass storage/archiving systems, image processing systems, and satellite ground systems are a plus.
- Experience and understanding of the Earth Resources Observation & Science (EROS) systems and data processing are a plus.
- High school diploma or equivalent is required.
- Associate degree with emphasis towards data processing or information systems is desired.
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, and communication skills.
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team.
- Demonstrate an aptitude toward the understanding of computer hardware and operating concepts.
- Basic knowledge of Unix, Linux, and Microsoft Office applications.
- Basic knowledge of Oracle SQL commands.
- Climate controlled office environment.
- Daily use of video display computer monitors.
- Potential for rotating shifts – days, swings, and weekends.
- Recognition of color screens and audio alarms is required.
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds.
The candidate must be able to obtain and maintain a national agency check and background investigation after hire to obtain a badge for facility access and user accounts.
This position will be posted to the career opportunities listing on the SGT website (URL blocked - click to apply). This position may be filled by a KBR teammate on the TSSC Contract. Please apply on line.
KBR is an equal opportunity employer. EOE/m/f/disabled/veteran.