TITLE: Software Engineer
LOCATION: Bellevue, WA, USA
TerraPower is a nuclear technology company based in Bellevue, Washington. At its core, the company is working to raise living standards globally through a more affordable, secure and environmentally friendly form of nuclear energy along with innovations in medical isotopes to improve human health. In 2006, TerraPower originated with Bill Gates and a group of like-minded visionaries who evaluated the fundamental challenges to raising living standards around the world. They recognized energy access was crucial to the health and economic well-being of communities and decided that the private sector needed to take action and create energy sources that would advance global energy deployment. TerraPower’s mission is to be a world leader in new nuclear technologies, while developing innovators and future leaders in the nuclear field. As a result, the company’s activities in the fields of nuclear energy and related sciences are yielding significant innovations in the safety and economics of nuclear power, hybrid energy and medical applications – all for significant human health benefits.
TerraPower is seeking to hire highly motivated and forward-thinking professionals interested in advanced nuclear reactor development and deployment. TerraPower is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate in hiring on the basis of sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religious creed, national origin, physical or mental disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. In addition, as a federal contractor, TerraPower has instituted an Affirmative Action Plan (AAP) in an effort to proactively recruit, hire, and promote women, minorities, disabled persons and veterans.
TerraPower, LLC. is seeking a highly motivated Software Engineer to maintain and enhance its open-source ARMI reactor analysis framework. In this role, you will contribute to development efforts related to the ARMI framework itself, as well as the surrounding ecosystem and infrastructure. Responsibilities would include:
- Maintain code to alleviate common user and developer issues,
- Review proposed code changes and provide detailed feedback under a formal QA program
- Identify performance or productivity bottlenecks; design and implement solutions to eliminate them
- Work closely with IT to deploy and configure software development infrastructure (repository hosting, code review, CI/CD systems, etc.)
- Facilitate software design reviews
- Lead by example with demonstration of good software development practices, and provide training/mentorship to engineers who are still learning
- Support verification and validation efforts to demonstrate that the codes meet specifications and are correct
Key Qualifications and Skills
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field, or 3+ years of experience developing software in a professional setting.
- Strong grasp of software design and architecture principles
- Strong programming skills in any language required, preferably in scientific computing, bonus points for Python, C++, and Fortran skills
- Experience with fundamental software development tools (e.g., development environments, version control, profilers, debuggers, documentation generators, packaging tools)
- Experience developing software in a collaborative environment (design review, code review, advanced version-control strategies, etc.)
- General knowledge of numerical methods and applied mathematics a plus (e.g., PDEs, numerical stability, statistics, numerical analysis, dynamics)
- Experience interacting with and/or configuring Continuous Integration/Continuous Delivery systems
- Experience developing software under a quality program (e.g., ASME NQA-1, ISO 9000, etc.) is a plus
- Self-motivated: able to seek out tasks and produce value aligned with team goals without waiting for next assignment
- Strong formal technical documentation skills required
- Passion for and dedication to software best practices
- Willingness to openly give and accept professional criticism through code reviews and other venues
- Strong verbal communication skills desired
- The successful candidate will possess a high degree of trust and integrity, communicate openly and display respect, and a desire to foster teamwork
Job Functions are physical actions and/or working conditions associated with the position. These functions may also constitute essential functions for the job which the employee must be able to fulfill, with or without accommodation. Information provided below is to help describe the job so that the applicant has a reasonable understanding of the job duties/expectations. An applicant's ability to perform and/or tolerate these actions and conditions will be discussed and workplace accommodations may be made on a case-by-case basis following an individualized assessment of the applicant and other considerations, including but not limited to any governing safety standards.
- Motor Abilities: Sitting and/or standing for extended periods, bending/stooping, grasping/gripping, fine motor control (hands)
- Physical exertion and/or requirements: Minimal, with ability to safely lift up to 25 pounds
- Repetitive work: Prolonged
- Special Senses: Visual and audio focused work
- Work Conditions: Stairs, typing/keyboard, standard and/or sitting working environment of >8 hrs./day
- Travel required: 0-5%
TerraPower’s technology is controlled for export by various agencies of the U.S. Government. TerraPower must evaluate applicants who are foreign nationals (other than asylees, refugees, or lawful permanent residents) in accordance with U.S. Government export control requirements. To facilitate TerraPower’s export control reviews, you will be asked as part of the application process to identify whether you are a U.S. Citizen or national, asylee, refugee, or lawful permanent resident of the United States. Government export authorization approval times vary. Based on the business needs for a particular position, TerraPower may not consider a foreign national from a country if it is impracticable to obtain timely Government export approval.
Please visit [ Link removed ] to apply
Software Quality Assurance (Sqa)