The Heavy Equipment Mechanic (HEM) is responsible for the diagnostic and repairs of military/civilian light, medium and heavy wheeled equipment. Works within a team of other mechanics. Troubleshoots malfunctions,service and operates wheeled equipment using conventional and digital multi-meters, voltmeters, ohmmeters, frequency counters, oscilloscopes, circuit card testers, transistor testers, and hand tools.
This position description is subject to change at any time as needed to meet the requirements of the program or company.
MAJOR JOB ACTIVITIES:
* Performs scheduled and unscheduled maintenance on wheeled vehicles and trailers equipment.
* Inspects, tests, and operates wheeled equipment (commercial and Military) to determine equipment serviceability and proper operation.
* Services equipment with fuel, oil, water, coolant, hydraulic fluid, refrigerant, and compressed air, disassembles and assembles malfunctioning accessories and components.
* Removes, disassembles repairs, cleans, treats for corrosion, assembles, and reinstalls components and accessories.
* Disposes of hazardous materials and waste in accordance with all state, local, and federal environmental standards and regulations.
* Operates, cleans, inspects, and services wheeled equipment for maintenance purposes.
* Practices good housekeeping, property accountability control, Foreign Object Damage prevention and safety at all times.
* Additional responsibilities include working with a variety of repair and test equipment including welders, torches, pressure testers and electrical testers and various other test equipment.
* Performs other duties as assigned to meet organizational/operational objectives.
* Job duties and responsibilities may change due to contractual requirements.
* Work is generally conducted in a shop environment. However, duties may involve the conduct of work in the outdoors area with a potential exposure to extreme climatic condition. Work requires stooping, climbing, prolonged standing, prolong sitting and occasional working in cramped and awkward position. Frequent exposure to conditions of inclement weather, extreme heat and cold, high/low humidity, blowing sand and dust, and working in confined spaces and at heights. A normal work week is 40 hours (5 days a week). Must be willing to work additional hours when mission requires.
* High school diploma or equivalent.
* At least three (3) to six (6) years of experience in wheeled equipment maintenance or an equivalent.
* Must possess a valid State Driver's License.
* Applicant must provide their own tools (general mechanics tool set)
* Must be a U.S. Citizen.
* Applicant must furnish their own serviceable, and Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) compliant, tools, that are appropriate for their required duties. Tools must meet the OSHA Regulations 1910 Subpar P
Skills and Experience:
* Must be proficient in servicing, troubleshooting and repairing military and civilian wheeled equipment.
* Must be familiar with the use of electronic technical manuals.
* To be qualified for this position you must comply with the government customer's requirement that you either provide proof that you are fully vaccinated for COVID-19, as defined by the CDC, or agree to undergo and provide results of weekly COVID-19 testing.
* As of now, to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 you must have received either two doses of Pfizer BioNTech Vaccine, two doses of AstraZeneca/Oxford Vaccine, two doses of Moderna Vaccine, or one dose of Johnson & Johnson Vaccine, and two weeks must have elapsed after the final dose was administered.
* This definition may change in accordance with CDC guidelines.
* Compliance with this directive is an essential function of the position and is a condition of employment.
We are committed to an inclusive and diverse workplace that values and supports the contributions of each individual. This commitment along with our common Vision and Values of Integrity, Respect, and Responsibility, allows us to leverage differences, encourage innovation and expand our success in the global marketplace. Vectrus is an Equal Opportunity /Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, protected veteran status or status as an individual with a disability. EOE/Minority/Female/Disabled/Veteran.
- Confined Spaces
- Contract Management
- Foreign Object Damage
- Frequency Counter
- Heavy Equipment