Laboratory Services Supervisor, Medical Oncology
Full Time, 80 Hours Per Pay Period, Day Shift
Thompson Oncologry Group
Position Summary: Responsible for technical, scientific, quality, and regulatory oversight of the Medical Laboratories for Thompson Oncology Group (TOG). This includes providing managerial support for laboratory staff as well as guidance in problem-solving and troubleshooting in organization, implementation, and technical performance of diagnostic procedures within the laboratory.
- Selects test methodology appropriate for the clinical use of test results in conjunction with laboratory leadership.
- Schedules and coordinates work activities of employees working in respective laboratories.
- Verifies test procedures performed and establishes test performance characteristics, including the precision and accuracy of each test and system.
- Enrolls and participates in an approved proficiency testing program commensurate with the services offered. Maintains proficiency testing records and ensures that proficiency testing samples are tested in the same manner as patient specimens.
- In conjunction with laboratory leadership, establishes a quality control program appropriate for the tests performed and establishes the parameters for acceptable levels of analytic performance. Ensures that these levels are maintained throughout the entire testing process.
- Implements quality control policies, and documents all quality control activities, instrument and procedural calibrations, and maintenance performance. Reviews and evaluates data on a routine basis. Prepares reports for laboratory leadership’s review as needed. Performs correlation and comparison studies.
- Ensures that patient results are not reported until all corrective actions have been taken and the test system is functioning properly.
- Identifies training needs and assures that each individual performing tests has received appropriate training.
- Operates, maintains, and troubleshoots department equipment. Resolves technical problems and ensures that remedial actions are taken whenever test systems deviate from the laboratory’s established performance specifications. Documents all actions. Provides input and participates in decision process for new equipment related to the laboratory.
- Evaluates the competency of all testing personnel and assures that competency is maintained, including: direct observation, monitoring of test results, review of intermediate records, assessment of test performance, etc.
- Responsible for laboratory personnel management, including: scheduling, completing annual performance evaluations, disciplinary actions, and hiring & terminating as needed. Works collaboratively with the leadership on staffing issues related to lab personnel. Additionally, meets with leadership routinely to address any lab issues and review any regulatory compliance issues/resolutions, noting that there are other clinical employees trained to cross cover lab.
- Oversees and assists with the orientation and training of all employees and students as needed.
- Performs all responsibilities of testing personnel as required.
- Composes new procedures and performs annual review/revision of technical procedural manuals, with final approval from laboratory leadership.
- Provides clinical consultation and/or evaluation pertaining to interpretation and clinical evaluation of laboratory tests and procedures.
- Ensures an adequate inventory of supplies and reagents necessary for timely performance of all required testing.
- Performs review and interpretation for tests sent to reference laboratories.
- Local travel is required.
- Follows policies, procedures, and safety standards. Completes required education assignments annually. Works toward achieving goals and objectives, and participates in quality improvement initiatives as requested.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Education: None specified; however, must be sufficient to meet the standards for achievement of the below indicated license and/or certification as required by the issuing authority.
Minimum Experience: Three (3) years clinical laboratory experience and two (2) years of managerial/supervisory experience.
Licensure Requirement: Must have and maintain Tennessee State Medical Technologist licensure.