Maintenance Supervisor IV - Plumbing
Are you ready to be professionally challenged? Are you looking to be part of a dynamic team of engaged and committed professionals? Then the Health and Specialty Care System (HSCS) may be just the place for you! The State Hospital System, under the HSCS is comprised of nine psychiatric hospitals located throughout the state and one youth residential psychiatric center in Waco. The HSCS is a hub of excellence for forensic mental health and complex psychiatric care, with all facilities accredited by The Joint Commission. The hospitals provide state-of-the-art treatment that is recovery-oriented and evidence-based. Whether in a direct-care or support role, your contribution will make a difference in the life of a Texan. Apply now to join our team.
The Plumbing Supervisor supervises and performs highly advanced supervisory maintenance and construction work. This position directly supervises and trains full time employees that are responsible for maintaining and repairing buildings and equipment relating to the Plumbing Department as needed. Work involves the installation of new plumbing fixtures and lines, routine and preventative maintenance of plumbing systems and components, and planned maintenance on plumbing fixtures and mechanical equipment. Supervises and trains plumbing staff engaged in the installation, maintenance, and repair work of plumbing systems and components. Assigns tasks and checks work in progress and inspects and reviews completed work. Estimates parts and materials required for the operations of the Plumbing Department. Interviews prospective employees and evaluates employees in the Plumbing Department. Responsible for emergency maintenance calls as needed. Works under minimal supervision of the
Assistant Plant Maintenance Manager and Plant Maintenance Manager. Performs other duties as assigned. Other duties as assigned include but are not limited to actively participating and/or serving in a supporting role to meet the agency's obligations for disaster response and/or recovery or Continuity of Operations (COOP) activation. Such participation may require an alternate shift pattern assignment and/or location. Other duties as assigned include but are not limited to actively participating and/or serving in a supporting role to meet the agency's obligations for disaster response and/or recovery of Continuity of Operations (COOP) activation. Such participation may require an alternate shift pattern assignment and/or location. Attends work on a regular basis and may be required to work a specific shift schedule or, at times, even a rotating schedule, extended shift and/or overtime in accordance with agency leave policy and performs other duties as assigned. Essential Job Functions:
1. Supervises, coordinates and assists in the installation of new plumbing fixtures, water lines and wastewater lines according to the National Plumbing Code to provide a safe and healthy environment for staff and patients. Examples include the assembly of pipe sections, tubing or fittings using couplings, clamps, screws, bolts, cement, plastic solvent, caulking or soldering, brazing or welding equipment.
2. Supervises, coordinates and assists in performing preventative maintenance (PM), breakdown repairs, routine maintenance and planned maintenance on plumbing fixtures and mechanical equipment to ensure fixtures are kept in like new condition. Tasks include pipe cutting, preassembly and/or installation of plumbing systems or components.
3. Checks for leaks in gas distribution system according to code and department policies to provide a safe environment for staff and patients.
4. Maintains all required records associated with the facility gas meter license.
5. Estimates time and material needed for job/work orders and assists in procurement of materials.
6. Maintains adequate bench stock to satisfy requests and prevent excessive down time of equipment.
7. Maintains current knowledge of HHSC Procurement and Contracting policies and procedures to track expenditures against purchase orders and contracts.
8. Complies with HHSC Procurement Card policies and procedures for credit card purchases.
9. This position has the authority for purchase approvals but does not have the approval authority in CAPPS. All CAPPS requisitions are routed through one requestor for the Maintenance Department, after that requestor receives appropriate approvals from this supervisor.
10.This position initiates contact for small to moderate projects funded under operational budgets and maintains a relationship throughout the process of the project. Duties involved include initiating projects, building scopes for projects, contacting vendors for quotes, processing quotes for approval, maintaining daily inspection of contracted work.
11.Checks work in progress daily and inspects completed work to ensure compliance with instructions and applicable codes to determine status of completion and to ensure that facility and department safety policies are followed.
12.Accounts for personal tool inventory by following departmental procedures to ensure safety of patients and employees.
13.Initiates job requisitions, conducts interviews of new employees for the Plumbing Department, following facility and departmental procedures to ensure hiring of capable, qualified employees.
14.Instructs on-the-job training of personnel in the plumbing section of the Maintenance Department.
15.Evaluates and counsels employees on expectations under guidance of the PCM System for increased productivity and improved employee development.
16.Responsible for emergency maintenance calls as needed according to Maintenance Department procedures to provide needed services.
17.Attends work on a regular basis and may be required to work a specific shift schedule or, at times, even a rotating schedule, extended shift and/or overtime in accordance with agency leave policy and performs other duties as assigned.
18.Performs other duties as assigned, including but not limited to actively participating and/or serving in a supporting role to meet the agency's obligations for disaster response and/or recovery or Continuity of Operations (COOP) activation. Such participation may require an alternate shift pattern assignment and/or location. Knowledge Skills Abilities:
1. Knowledge of the repair, maintenance and operation of plumbing fixtures and procedures, techniques and safety regulations.
2. Knowledge of and experience with prevailing plumbing codes and standards.
3. Skill in the use of the following tools and equipment: Pipe threader, scissor lift, boom lift, forklift, roto rooter, ProPress.
4. Ability to calculate material and labor costs to complete work orders and follows written and oral instructions.
5. Ability to perform gas work such as welding, brazing and soldering or ferrous and non-ferrous metals to repair, maintain or fabricate parts and equipment.
6. Ability to perform inspections of equipment, gas and water systems to ensure proper maintenance and repair.
7. Proficient in the following computer programs: Microsoft Excel, Word, Access, Outlook, PowerPoint, Computer Aided Facility Management (CAFM).
8. Ability to work from drawings, schematics and blueprints.
9. Ability to prioritize and manage tasks independently Registration or Licensure Requirements:
Current Texas Department of Licensing and Regulations Journeyman Plumbing License, or the ability to obtain licensure within 90 days of employment. Must possess valid Texas driver license or obtain it no later than 90 days after hire date. Applicants with an out-of-state driver license must provide an original certified driving record from the state of driving licensure. Eligible driving record required based on HHSC Fleet Management policy. Initial Selection Criteria:
1.Graduation from a standard senior high school or equivalent, supplemented by vocational training in a designated trade, is generally preferred; experience and education may be substituted for one another.
2.At least five (5) to seven (7) years' experience in plumbing work. Experience supervising. Additional Information:
Applicants must pass a fingerprint criminal background check, pre-employment drug screen, and registry checks including the Client Abuse/Neglect Reporting System (CANRS), Nurse Aid, Medication Aide and Employee Misconduct, and HHS OIG list of Excluded Individuals/Entities. Males between the ages of 18-25 must be registered with the Selective Service.
All applicants must be at least 18 years of age to be considered for employment at a state-operated facility.
The salary offered will follow HHS starting salary guidelines which are typically made at or near the posted minimum of the salary range.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, healthcare workers are considered to be at significant risk for acquiring or transmitting hepatitis B, measles, mumps, rubella, varicella (chicken pox), tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis (whooping cough), and influenza. All of these diseases are vaccine-preventable. As a result, state hospital policy requires employees be vaccinated according to their level of contact with patients. In the event you choose to not be immunized for the influenza virus, you may be required to wear a mask and take other protective measures.
All new hire candidates will be required to receive COVID-19 medical screening (nasal test) as part of the due diligence process.
Military occupation(s) that relate to the initial selection criteria and registration or licensure requirements for this position may include, but not limited to: 42A, YN, 0111, 3A1X1. All active duty military, reservists, guardsmen, and veterans are encouraged to apply if qualified to fill this position. For more information see the Texas State Auditor's Military Crosswalk at [ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to Maintenance Supervisor IV-Plumbing
Top 10 Tips for Success when Applying to Jobs at HHSC and DSHS
HHS agencies use E-Verify. You must bring your I-9 documentation with you on your first day of work.
I-9 Form - Click here to download the I-9 form.
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), HHS agencies will provide reasonable accommodation during the hiring and selection process for qualified individuals with a disability. If you need assistance completing the on-line application, contact the HHS Employee Service Center at
. If you are contacted for an interview and need accommodation to participate in the interview process, please notify the person scheduling the interview.
- Computer Aided Facility Management
- Facility Management