Our team members are the compassionate core of who we are and how we serve. Every day we strive to live out our vision statement of “Best outcome every patient every time” through living out our FOCUS values of Foster Unity, Own the Moment, Champion Excellence, and Seize Opportunities.
At UnityPoint Health, we provide care in nine regions throughout Illinois, Iowa, and Wisconsin. As the nation’s fourth largest nondenominational health system in America, UnityPoint Health keeps people at the center of all we do. We are looking for dynamic and talented individuals to join our team. You'll find opportunities for every sized dream.
Certified Nursing Assistant-Respiratory Unit
Location: Methodist Campus
Shift: Full time/32 hrs per week 11P-7:00A
To assist Registered Professional Nurses and Licensed Practical Nurses in the provision of patient care by performing assigned patient care and unit maintenance activities.
Performs Patient Care Activities as delegated by the Nurse utilizing applicable policies and procedures to ensure patient needs and expectations are met.
- Knowledgeable and skilled in applicable procedures in providing care.
- Provides for hygiene needs of patients (AM/PM care, oral hygiene and denture care, perineal care, shampoo, bathing, shaving, care of TED, SCD hose.)
- Provides for nutritional needs of patients. (Tray distribution, setting up trays, offering supplements, feeding, and recording intake.)
- Provides for elimination needs of patient. (Foley care, bowel movements, bladder training, enemas, and external catheters; records output.)
- Provides for skin care of patients. (turning, positioning, recognition and prevention of skin breakdown, operation of special beds, nail care, and back rubs.)
- Provides for comfort measures (Proper positioning, back rubs, oral care, wrinkle free bed sheets and ensuring that bedside table, water pitcher, urinal are within reach.)
- Provides for activity needs of patients (i.e. dangling, turning, chair, ambulating, walker, and crutches).
- Performs measurements of patients (I&O, TPR, B/P, weights, abdominal girth, hose measurements).
- Performs additional skills as directed and supervised by the nurse, after training and certification, i.e. intermittent urinary catheterization and clean dressing changes (varies by unit or area).
- Assists with admission, transfer, and discharge of patients.
- Completes assigned aspects of admission process including vital signs, height and weight, room setup, room orientation, assists patient to bed, assures call light available etc.
- Stores and transfers belongings (dentures, hearing aids, glasses and other personal items).
- Packs up all patient belongings at transfer and discharge: Demonstrates ability to anticipate patient needs; Answers all call lights promptly; Respects privacy
- Achieves patient satisfaction when providing patient care.
- Makes PRIDE rounds minimally every two hours to assure that patients are comfortable, positioned properly, call light available, room orderly.
- Reports pertinent patient information to the nurse assigned to the patient in a timely manner.
- Documentation is complete, accurate, and timely
- Ensures that vitals, input/output, weights, SNF Caretool, Daily Cares, Skilled ADL, Restorative Program are completed accurately and timely in accordance with CMS guidelines.
- Possesses knowledge and skills necessary to obtain adequate lab specimens for testing.
- Performs patient bedside lab testing and associated quality control in compliance with medical provider’s orders and hospital lab procedures/policies (BGM).
- Provides assistance for morning get-ups (bathing, dressing, grooming, and feeding) to ensure patients are prepared for therapy services, dining experience, and activities.
- Provides assistance for those patients currently receiving Restorative Program while ensuring documentation is complete, accurate, and timely.
- Assists and encourages patients with participating in the dining experience while on TCC.
- Provides assistance for Recreational Therapy throughout day as needed.
Uses time, supplies, and other resources productively to promote responsive and cost effective care for our patients. Performs unit maintenance duties/errands to ensure a clean, neatly organized, efficiently operating unit.
- Completes care while conserving resources.
- Completes work within assigned shift.
- Overtime used only as requested by Director/Nurse Manager/Lead RN/ Shift Supervisor.
- Prevents waste of supplies and linen.
- Checks patient room for unused equipment/supplies and returns to SPD promptly.
- Demonstrates ability to organize and prioritize work with changes as directed by the nurse.
- Uses down time to improve unit appearance and accept additional assignments.
- Assists others in assignment completion.
- Willingly responds to requests by nursing staff accepting delegated duties from the Registered Professional Nurse and Licensed Practical Nurse.
- Performs unit maintenance duties.
- Maintains neat and safe patient environment, including bedside table, bathrooms, wastebaskets, bedpans, and specipans.
- Assures discontinued equipment is removed from patient rooms.
- Completes assigned maintenance tasks such as: cleaning of kitchen, refrigerators, utility rooms, IV poles, carts, making charts, and distributing SPD items.
- Ensures adequate stock of BSI supplies in all rooms.
- Accurately utilizes supply scan.
- Performs errands as requested.
- Knowledgeable of locations of various support areas.
Assumes personal responsibility for patient, environmental and personal safety.
- Provides for safety measures of patients (lift equipment, transfers, side rails, bed checks, call lights, gait belt use, back safety, slide board, use of restraints.)
- Maintains clear hallways and doorways on an ongoing basis.
- Uses protective equipment appropriately.
- Adheres to hand washing policy.
- Practices good body mechanics, getting assistance as needed to protect patient and own safety.
- Promptly reports unsafe equipment.
- Alert and responsive to all alarms/call lights.
Through teamwork and effective communication, contributes toward a department environment that promotes customer and employee satisfaction.
- Assists in achieving department goals and objectives.
- Utilizes teamwork effort to maintain positive patient perceptions in the areas of promptness, friendliness, attitude toward calls, took problem seriously, attention to special needs, temperature of foods, noise level, temperature of the room, attitude towards visitors, and concern for privacy.
- Attends educational offerings to validate skills and maintain current knowledge of patient care. Participates in Housewide Unit Councils, Staff Meetings, etc.
- Gives and receives peer evaluation constructively.
- Recognizes unit as three interrelated shifts, supporting changes and assisting with staffing needs.
- Is knowledgeable of Quality Improvement indicators and assists in improvement of patient care.
- Establishes positive working relationships with team members and other hospital personnel.
- Knowledgeable and respectful of the roles that other ancillary department personnel have in delivering patient care.
BASIC UPH PERFORMANCE CRITERIA
- Demonstrates the UnityPoint Health Values and Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to policies and procedures and safety guidelines.
- Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with regular, reliable attendance.
- Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position.
- Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA, TJC, DNV, OSHA and other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding healthcare.
- Completes all annual education and competency requirements within the calendar year.
- Is knowledgeable of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of hospital administrative staff. Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.
DEMONSTRATION OF UPH VALUES AND STANDARDS OF BEHAVIORS
- Foster Unity:
- Leverage the skills and abilities of each person to enable great teams.
- Collaborate across departments, facilities, business units and regions.
- Seek to understand and are open to diverse thoughts and perspectives.
- Own The Moment:
- Connect with each person treating them with courtesy, compassion, empathy and respect
- Enthusiastically engage in our work.
- Accountable for our individual actions and our team performance.
- Responsible for solving problems regardless of the origin.
- Champion Excellence:
- Commit to the best outcomes and highest quality.
- Have a relentless focus on exceeding expectations.
- Believe in sharing our results, learning from our mistakes and celebrating our successes.
- Seize Opportunities:
- Embrace and promote innovation and transformation.
- Create partnerships that improve care delivery in our communities.
- Have the courage to challenge the status quo.
- High school graduate or GED equivalent
- 1-3 years of experience in/with nursing assisting preferred.
- Certified as Certified Nursing Assistant
- Valid driver’s license when driving any vehicle for work-related reasons.
- Basic writing skills
- Basic oral skills
- Ability to respond appropriately to customer/co-worker
- Interaction with a wide variety of people
- Maintain confidential information
- Ability to communicate only the facts to recipients or to decline to reveal information
- Ability to project a professional, friendly, helpful demeanor
Moving Of Patients
Take Vital Sign