At Houston Methodist, the Sr Staff Registered Nurse (RN) position is a licensed staff nurse, who as an advanced clinician, functions at the Proficient level according to Benner's model of clinical practice. The Sr Staff RN position provides professional direct patient nursing care to a diverse patient population, which may include patients with varied and complex needs, and is considered an expert in a specialty. Besides conducting nursing assessments, assisting with exams and treatment and maintenance of medical records, this position assists in coaching and mentoring department staff in areas of clinical and professional practice. Role modeling compassionate communication with physicians and the interprofessional health care team, the Sr Staff RN position assumes leadership responsibilities with high level contributions in the department and across the institution. Responsibilities for this position may include but are not limited to leading department clinical activities, assessing department needs related to practice and improvement opportunities, serving as a clinical resource for department staff and coordinating department education in partnership with management.
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Job responsibilities labeled EF capture those duties that are essential functions of the job.
PEOPLE - 25%
- Identifies staff development opportunities for professional growth of colleagues, provides coaching to meet identified goals. Acts as a model and coaches staff in effective verbal, non-verbal and written communication, which includes active listening and teaching. Provides oversight for new employee preceptorships. (EF)
- Collaborates to foster healthy relationships in the work environment such as mitigation of conflict. Advocates for a balanced workload, promotes positive behaviors, and peer-to-peer accountability. (EF)
- Improves nurse satisfaction by serving as a role model and mentor, facilitating teamwork with RNs, non-licensed and interprofessional staff, as evidenced by the annual RN-RN teamwork score and interprofessional relationship score. Improves department scores for turnover/retention. (EF)
SERVICE - 25%
- Role models the patient and family-centered care standards, as outlined in the Houston Methodist Professional Nursing Practice document. Mentors others regarding specialty populations. Audits plan of care. Practices in a manner that is congruent with cultural diversity and inclusion principles. (EF)
- Develops, updates and communicates plan of care, including discharge/disposition, in partnership with the patient, family and interprofessional health care team, using the nursing process. Prioritizes care based on the patient's needs, abilities and preferences. Advocates on patient/family's behalf to identify and resolve clinical and ethical concerns. Develops appropriate resources and supports department practices and guidelines. (EF)
- Develops and implements effective patient teaching strategies based on learning needs; uses appropriate resources, incorporating planning for care after discharge/disposition. Consistently evaluates the patient's comprehension and adapts teaching methods accordingly. (EF)
- Drives department activities to improve department score for patient satisfaction, through peer-to-peer accountability to service standards. (EF)
QUALITY/SAFETY - 25%
- Models the standards of care related to the nursing process, as outlined in the Houston Methodist Professional Nursing Practice document. Provides care as the staff nurse leader to complex patients and leads the interprofessional health care team in implementing plan of care. Anticipates/prevents and recognize/resolves early declines in patient condition and emergent situations. Manages assignment of complex patients and other department demands. Identifies areas of practice improvements with research-based evidence to achieve quality measures and patient safety outcomes, supported by accurate documentation and patient teaching. (EF)
- Models the standards related to regulatory requirements and professional practice as outlined in the Houston Methodist Professional Nursing Practice document. Role models highly developed assessment, clinical documentation, leadership and analytical skills; integrates and contributes to professional practice standards, policies, procedures, protocols and leads improvements in patient safety-related processes at department or service line level. Contributes to development of service line and clinical standards and guidelines. (EF)
- Partners on initiatives to improve quality and safety scores, through peer-to-peer accountability, reporting near misses and identifying solutions by collaborating with the interprofessional team. Role models situational awareness, using teachable moments to improve safety. (EF)
FINANCE - 10%
- Models independent time management effectively and prioritization of daily tasks, minimizing incidental overtime. Actively participates in the stewardship and efficient utilization of resources and needs including capital and operational budget needs. (EF)
- Implements department strategies to achieve financial target and mentors others to do the same through timely documentation of care, optimizing efficiency, minimizing incidental overtime, and other areas according to department specifications. (EF)
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 15%
- Identifies opportunities for practice changes and performance improvement. Investigates and incorporates evidence-based practices which are presented to shared governance and leadership. Supports change initiatives and adapts to unexpected changes. (EF)
- Champions new care pathways or service line implementations to improve care to the community. Identifies trends for improvement opportunities or practice changes and supports initiatives. Researches the change and presents options to appropriate clinical leadership. (EF)
- Expands individual nursing knowledge and coaches staff to grow in knowledge, abilities, skills, and attitudes. Completes and updates the individual development plan (IDP) on an on-going basis. Ensures own career discussions occur with appropriate management. Serves as the clinical resource. Develops and disseminates, as appropriate, informational/educational resources and programs designed to improve quality and professional practice. (EF)
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
- Bachelor of Science degree or higher from an accredited School of Nursing
- Five years' healthcare nursing experience, with one year in specialty preferred
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
- Texas RN license or temporary TX RN license, should obtain permanent license within 90 days. Compact license acceptable according to current Board of Nursing requirements.
- American Heart Association BLS
- Other credentials and certifications as defined by department
- American Nursing Credentialing Center (ANCC)-recognized preferred