This Hardship Relief Task Force is a front-line hybrid legal/business role with direct consumer interaction and impact. Default Mortgage Servicing is driven all by Federal, State, and Agency/Insurer laws and requirements. The Hard Ship Task Force will ensure that the consumer experience meets the legal requirements. On a daily basis our consumers are raising their hands indicating they are financially impacted by the COVID-19 crisis—to date in our million loan portfolio, we’ve had over 100,000 impacted homes. This is an opportunity to help these customers get back on their feet. As part of the Hardship Relief Task Force you will join our team as a Sr Collector, with strong performance and as business needs evolve you may have the opportunity to transition through other positions within our Default Servicing department. In this role you will be responsible for answering inbound telephone calls from and placing outbound calls to mortgage borrowers that are greater than 31+ days delinquent. Through the course of these conversations, the Sr Collector will gather details surrounding a borrower’s current financial situation, arrange payment and/or payment alternatives, create detailed documentation to ensure the Collections process is tracked in an accurate manner, and perform advanced skip tracing responsibilities. The collections team must ensure that critical call center benchmarks are met on a daily basis. Those benchmarks include an average speed of answer of 60 seconds or less, abandonment rate of less than 5 percent and a blockage rate of less than 1 percent. This is reported to investors and the organization. Meeting those benchmarks, making and taking customer phone calls to educate on payment options and reducing delinquency are key components for the collections team to be successful. These benchmarks ensure that the team is in compliance with call center requirements, properly services our customers and investors, and prevents losses in the portfolio.
Handle Inbound/Outbound Customer Contacts by Telephone
- Answer inbound telephone calls from and place outbound calls to delinquent mortgage borrowers. Primary focus will be collections of 31+ days delinquent accounts; secondary focus will be collections of 0-60 days delinquent accounts
- Manually dial customers to perform targeted collections efforts
- Handle basic technical calls, including how to submit financial documentation through flagstar.com
- Maintain familiarity with up to 12 systems and applications in order to research inquiries
- Ensure familiarity with the most up-to-date policies and procedures to communicate accurate information to customers
- Use problem solving skills paired with knowledge of Flagstar procedures to arrange payment and/or payment alternatives to cure delinquency
- Escalate issues to management and/or second levels appropriately
- Calculate and explain payment changes to customers
- Educate borrowers on loss mitigation options and refer borrowers to the Loss Mitigation department when appropriate
Create and Maintain Documentation of Calls
- Document the system with details in a thorough, accurate manner including details regarding the borrower’s financial information
- Code the outcome of calls correctly
- Capture complaint and Voice of the Customer feedback
- Document customer account maintenance requests for management and other department review
Perform Advanced Skip Tracking
- Review Flagstar systems, including loan documents in the imaging system, to locate borrower contact information
- Perform research on basic websites to locate borrower contact information
- Use skip tracing software to research borrower references, employers, relatives, etc. to obtain additional contact information
- Input and/or update contact information in the system to ensure collection outreach efforts are met.
Develop and maintain subject matter expertise
- Complete Skip Tracing and Advanced Collections Techniques classes
- Complete up to three additional soft skills and/or call center-related eLearning classes
- Actively participate in monthly coaching sessions with the Quality Assurance team; meet or exceed Quality Assurance requirements
- Recognize and communicate the need for potential additions to current policies and procedures
- Provide leadership to others through side-by-side coaching of new hires and existing agents on calls as needed
- Perform additional responsibilities as assigned by management
- Reliable Home Internet Connection Required
- HS Diploma, GED or Foreign Equivalent required
- 1 year customer service, collections, in an inbound/outbound call center environment, or sales experience
Sr Collector: 2 years in one or a combination of the following: customer service, collections, in an inbound/outbound call center environment, or sales experience (this requirement is waived for temporary positions)
1 year as a collector (this requirement is waived for temporary positions)
Loss prevention/Loss mitigation experience, preferred
Basic technical and computer skills; ability to navigate quickly within various computer programs.
Basic understanding of MS Office Suite required.
Ability to look for ways to improve and promote quality.
Ability to handle high call volume and answer customer questions in a timely manner.
Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
Exceptional analytical and problem solving skills with an ability to think quickly under pressure.
Willingness to work in a team environment.
Must be action-oriented with a great sense of customer focus.
Ability to work the varying shifts as required.
Complex Problem Solving