Contribute. Grow. Lead...with OxyChem. Looking for a challenge? Desire to achieve your true potential? OxyChem is a growing, action-oriented, safety driven chemical manufacturing company continually striving to be the best in the business while staying focused on environmental protection. The secret to our success has and will continue to be our people.
Occidental Chemical Corporation (OxyChem) is a leading North American manufacturer of polyvinyl chloride (PVC) resins, chlorine, and caustic soda – key building blocks for a variety of indispensable products such as plastics, pharmaceuticals and water treatment chemicals. Other OxyChem products include caustic potash, chlorinated organics, sodium silicates, chlorinated isocyanurates and calcium chloride. OxyChem's market position is among the top three producers in the United States in 2021 for the principal products it manufactures and markets. Based in Dallas, Texas, the company has manufacturing facilities in the U.S., Canada and Latin America.
In a fast-paced industry that demands precision, we create a supportive workplace where the safety and well-being of our employees are paramount. We are committed to rewarding top performers, offering very competitive pay and benefits, and providing tremendous career development opportunities. We are looking for an experienced and self-motivated individual to fill the position of Safety Engineer within our Chemical Manufacturing Plant located in Pasadena, Texas.
Essential Job Duties:
- Maintain protection of the environment and the health and safety of our employees, customers, and the communities in which we operate and/or transport our products, as our highest priority.
- Support and facilitate employee and contractor involvement in health and safety systems.
- Be visible in the field and available to plant personnel to address safety and health issues on a daily basis.
- Support the HESS programs while incorporating accountability and responsibility for safety and health performance into all levels of the organization.
- Provide appropriate leadership, counsel, and coaching on HESS related issues, define requirements, interpret regulations and procedures, and assist to define acceptable solutions.
- Monitor employee performance in safety, industrial hygiene, and emergency response, and evaluate program efficiency status.
- Assist in special program efforts such as the OSHA Voluntary Protection Program, Responsible Care, Corporate HESS audits, and other regulatory or company programs and processes.
- Support the development, implementation, and measurement of plant HESS, contractor safety, procedures, practices, and compliance with all applicable codes, standards and acceptable practices.
- Maintain regulatory compliance and continued quality in OxyChem safety process systems.
- Work with plant leadership, personnel, and contract groups to correct and improve performance and practices as applicable.
- Support the safety process systems through leading and participation in planned inspections, job observations, near miss reporting, incident investigation, plant audits, and other programs as required.
- Lead the organization to zero injury and zero environmental impacts by example while modeling personal, team, and job competencies with a positive results-oriented attitude.
- Bachelor's degree in Safety or related curriculum.
- 0 - 5 years safety experience in a chemical manufacturing environment preferred.
- Detailed knowledge of federal, state, and local policies and regulations, related to health and safety.
- Ability to analyze data, comprehend both abstract and concrete concepts, and translate technical information in a manner that can be communicated to non-technical personnel.
- High proficiency in Microsoft applications (such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook).
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Must be able to respond to off hour emergencies.
- Must be able to read, write and speak in English.
- Excellent interpersonal skills including the ability to work as part of a team.
- Ability to work weekends, holidays and respond to callouts on a non-routine basis.
- Must be able to lift 40 lbs., climb ladders and stairs. Walking, bending, stooping is required. Must be able to wear personal protective equipment including the use of a respirator.
- Must be able to respond to visual and audible alarms.
Occidental is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, marital status, political preference, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
- Data Analysis
- Hardworking And Dedicated
- Interpersonal Skills