Smithfield Foods is a $15 billion global food company and the world's largest pork processor and hog producer. In the United States, the company is also the leader in numerous packaged meats categories with popular brands including Smithfield, Eckrich ®, Nathan's Famous ®, Farmland ®, Armour ®, Farmer John ®, Kretschmar ®, John Morrell ®, Cook's ®, Gwaltney ®, Carando ®, Margherita ®, Curly's ®, Healthy Ones ®, Morliny ®, Krakus ® and Berlinki ®. Smithfield Foods is committed to providing good food in a responsible way and maintains robust animal care, community involvement, employee safety, environmental and food safety and quality programs.
The Lease Accountant is responsible for on-going compliance with lease accounting standards and aspects of lease administration, including the ownership and maintenance of the Company’s lease accounting system. The Leasing & Technical Analyst will work closely with multiple functions within the Company to drive execution, compliance and process improvement as it relates to lease accounting. The Leasing & Technical Analyst will also be responsible for assisting with compliance of the Company’s accounting policies.Core Responsibilities
- Oversee the lease accounting system across the broad organization, including system functionality, training, data loading and system maintenance.
- Ensure internal controls and procedures comply with Sarbanes-Oxley requirements for all lease accounting related processes.
- Collaborate with business lease leads to ensure all leases are captured for system and accounting purposes.
- Coordinate with business lease leads and management to monitor lease activity and provide support related to lease accounting, as needed.
- Assist with annual disclosure requirements in relation to Financial Reporting.
- Assist in further development and maintenance of lease accounting policy.
- Participate in ad-hoc projects related to lease accounting.
- When applicable, meet with business owners and controllership team to determine accounting treatment of leases.
- Answer questions from the business and management regarding the Company’s lease portfolio.
- Assist external auditors in their audit process.
- Provide training to users to strengthen their knowledge of lease accounting practices and to educate them on any changes to processes or tools/reports available.
- Identify and implement process improvements, efficiency opportunities, and cost saving initiatives while ensuring process quality.
- Partner/collaborate with accounting/finance personnel and other business leaders to build and enhance awareness of various lease accounting requirements.
- Assist the Technical Accounting Manager with monitoring training and compliance with the Company’s global accounting policies.
- Undertake special projects and support Corporate initiatives, as needed.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. May perform other duties as assigned.Qualifications
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor’s Degree from a regionally accredited four-year college or university in Accounting, Finance or related field and 2+ years’ experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Certified Public Accounting (CPA) or Masters’ degree desirable.
- Strong accounting skills, knowledge of GAAP.
- Big Four experience strongly encouraged.
- Knowledge of SAP and/or leasing software is a plus.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Word, Power Point, Access).
- Excellent problem-solving and analytical skills.
- Strong written and verbal communication.
- Highly organized and detail-oriented.
- Ability to work well with others in fast paced, dynamic environment.
- Ability to be respectful, approachable and team oriented while building strong working relationships and a positive work environment.
Smithfield, is an equal opportunity employer committed to workplace diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, gender identity, protected veterans status or status as a disabled individual or any other protected group status or non-job related characteristic as directed by law.Careers and Benefits
To learn more about Smithfield’s benefits, visit smithfieldfoods.com/careerbenefits
Generally Accepted Accounting Principles