About Covanta: Covanta is a world leader in providing sustainable waste and energy solutions. Annually, Covanta’s modern Energy-from-Waste facilities safely convert approximately 20 million tons of waste from municipalities and businesses into clean, renewable electricity to power one million homes and recycle approximately 500,000 tons of metal. Through a vast network of treatment and recycling facilities, Covanta also provides comprehensive industrial material management services to companies seeking solutions to some of today’s most complex environmental challenges. For more information, visit URL blocked - click to apply .
Information on our facilities is available at URL blocked - click to apply . For career opportunities, visit URL blocked - click to apply . Covanta is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Reporting to the Regional VP of Operations, the Operations Area Manager – West, is responsible for leading and managing a team of operations, maintenance and plant support employees at five Energy from Waste (EfW) facilities located in Toronto, Canada, Vancouver, Canada, Marion OR, Stanislaus CA, and Long Beach CA. The successful candidate will meet or exceed financial and operational performance goals in power generation, as well as support the Regional Business Manager to facilitate successful client relations and management of financial and contractual matters. The Operations Area Manager – West must also be a strong advocate for our environment and safety efforts while developing long-term, positive relationships with the local community.
This position will be based out of Covanta’s Long Beach CA facility; Facility Managers from each of the five EfW locations will report directly to the Operations Area Manager – West.
- Manage Operations of facilities in a manner that protects the health and safety of employees and visitors as a first priority which includes familiarity with regulations and permits governing the facility.
- Maximize the financial return received by Covanta from the operation & maintenance of the facilities.
- Support outage maintenance planning including utilizing regional and corporate resources when necessary.
- Manage long term financial modeling, for production, staffing and expenses, and capital requirements.
- Work closely with Business Managers to pursue opportunities aimed at maximizing the return on all assets associated with the facility.
- Work with Facility Managers to manage facility P & L, including forecasting of production targets, expenses and capital plans.
- Manage union related issues and supporting union avoidance activities.
- Coordinate staff efforts to solve problems and respond to opportunities as well as motivate the team to encourage personal and professional growth.
- Participate in public forums to support business development and community education.
- Ensure compliance with all contracts to protect long-term interests of the company.
- Ensure compliance with environmental standards and applicable governmental regulations.
- Assist the Regional Operations Manager, VP with other duties as required.
- Power plant and corporate office environments
- Overtime required as special projects arise
- Travel (50%)
- Bachelor's degree preferred with a Master's degree highly desirable or, 15+ years of progressive responsibility in a similar industry will be considered in lieu of degree.
- A minimum of 8 years relevant experience with a proven track record of increasing managerial responsibility in a power plant or similar industrial environment.
- Frequent travel between facilities in the U.S. and Canada required as needed to support plant management and production activity.
- Previous Plant Management experience with multi-site operations.
- Industries preferred – Power Generation or Specialty Chemicals with significant materials handling aspects.
- Experience in union/ labor relations is desirable.
- Proven experience with leading change initiatives at multiple levels of an organization.
Additional Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Strong Leadership, financial acumen, business acumen required.
- Ability to drive strong culture of Operational discipline.
- Demonstrated ability to build bench strength and drive people development.
- Job consists of office work, but candidate must have the ability to;
- Conduct facility walkdowns in hot or cold environment whenever visiting a facility.
- Walk thru boiler house and ash house
- Walking up stairs
- Climbing ladders
- Conduct boiler inspections on occasion while wearing a full-face respirator.
- Climb into tight boiler openings
- Climb ladders
- Walk on scaffolding