Under moderate direction, assists licensed nursing staff in providing direct patient care and helps in the environment maintenance of the nursing unit under the direction of the staff nurse and within the scope of defined practice.
1. Collaborates with the RN in the physical and psychosocial assessment of patient and demonstrates competency in the delivery, evaluation and documentation of nursing care.
2. Effectively documents patient care reflecting severity of illness and intensity of service in the patient’s medical record in a timely manner with minimum of every shift.
3. Assesses mental status of patient including hallucination, paranoia, delusions suicidal/homicidal ideation, etc.
4. Evaluates patient chemical dependency, medication compliance, and patient safety to self and others.
5. Diffuses crisis situations while maintaining safety for patient, family and self.
6. Assists patient with emotional and psychological issues and provides support to facilitate patient comfort and well-being.
7. Assists patients in coping with problems associated with mental illness.
8. Recognizes, documents and communicates changes in cognitive abilities, affect, behavior and mood.
9. Interacts with patient’s family and/or significant others with patient consent.
10. Remains cognitive of job responsibilities and limitations and follows chain of command when appropriate.
11. Participates in QI activities as defined by Behavioral Health Services.
12. Demonstrates Customer Focus, Service First, and Oakwood’s CREDO.
13. Is responsible for making rounds every 15 minutes on patients, taking and charting vital signs, collecting blood sugars and completing all computer charting i.e. Nurse Reporting Tool and Flow Sheets.
14. Performs other job duties as assigned by Clinical Manager, ACM’s and/or Charge Nurse.
This document represents the major duties, responsibilities, and authorities of this job, and is not intended to be a complete list of all tasks and functions. It should be understood, therefore, that incumbents may be asked to perform job-related duties beyond those explicitly described.
1. Supports the Mission, Value and Vision of Beaumont Health (BH). Demonstrates personal commitment through active involvement in the performance improvement process.
2. Exhibits excellent customer service skills and behaviors toward internal and external customers and co-workers. Promotes positive public relations with patients/residents, family members, guests, and others.
3. Supports and adheres to all Beaumont Health’s customer service, service excellence, and performance standards. Supports and participates with all required compliance standards that may be department specific and/or identified by the organizations including in-service training, acceptable attendance, uniform and dress code.
4. Adheres to HIPAA requirements and maintains confidentiality of all data, including patient/resident, employee and operations information.
5. Supports and participates in a collaborative team-oriented environment – cooperates and works together with all co-workers, plans and completes job duties, uses appropriate communications in sensitive and emotional situations and follows up as appropriate regarding reported complaints, problems and concerns.
6. Supports, cooperates with and demonstrates safe work practices and attitudes, follows safety rules – including universal precautions - reports and prevents/corrects unsafe conditions and behaviors, and participates in organizational and departmental safety programs.
7. Completes all required compliance standards that may be department specific and/or identified by the organization.
8. Maintains current licensure, registration and/or certification, as applicable, at all times.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties.
A. Education / Training:
• Completion of Mental health Certificate program, 2 years college with major in Behavioral Science, or 4 years equivalent work experience in a behavioral health setting. Bachelor’s degree in a behavioral science field preferred.
B. Work Experience:
• 1 year in behavioral setting preferred.
C. Certification, Licensure, Registration:
• BLS and CPI training require upon hire or within 60 days of hire.
D. Other Qualifications:
• Good communication skills.
• Work well in an unpredictable environment.
• Must be able to occasionally handle working in a high paced stressful environment/situation
A. Physical Effort: Position may require long periods of standing, walking, sitting, using a computer, and working with patients.
B. Work Environment: Work is performed in a mental health setting.