To begin the application process, please enter your email address.
Company Contact Info
- Des Moines, IA
Sorry, we cannot save or unsave this job right now.
Report this Job
Saving Your Job Alert
Job Alert Saved!
Could not save Job Alert!
You have too many Job Alerts!
This email address has reached the maximum of 5 email alerts. To create a new alert, you will need to log into your email and unsubscribe from at least one.
Email Send Failed!
Sr. Business Development Consultant-UH (IOWA)
AF Group • Des Moines, IA
Posted 25 days ago
Get facts about other applicants with a CareerBuilder Account
United Heartland - Reporting to Chicago field region
(Remote position) Handling the state of Iowa
Develops and manages independent agency relationship including the development of new business and retention of existing business in a region or territory. Reviews, analyzes, approves or rejects complex business within letter of authority. Serve as liaison with company personnel regarding company business opportunities and problem resolution. Responsible for assisting in establishing the territory's or region's overall agency plan.
RESPONSIBILITIES/TASKS (Core for ALL):
- Calculates, prepares and develops premium quotations using corporate underwriting guidelines within letter of authority.
- Determines underwriting eligibility for prospective policyholders and develops appropriate pricing for new business, renewals, and endorsements.
- Analyzes and reviews prospective accounts for insurability and accepts or rejects within letter of authority.
- Develops and manages agency relationships.
- Develops agency plans in cooperation with other staff.
- Addresses agents' and policyholders' concerns/needs.
- Responsible for development of new business, profitability and retention of existing business in a given territory or region.
- Explains and emphasizes benefit of workers' compensation insurance products and services to customers.
- Works with all internal departments to resolve problems and maintain company relations.
- Participates as necessary on special committees and task forces.
- Interprets and develops territory reports which reflect the status of the territory.
- Participates in promotional plans for both company and agent activities
- Analyzes and reviews production and loss information for agents, determines exposure and proper pricing to develop corrective action plans as needed to correct poor performance. .
- Prepares periodic reports as requested.
- Manages small territory or region under close supervision.
- Researches and coordinates responses to agents, policyholders and regulatory entities.
- Appoints and trains new agents and new agency employees on the use of company specific automation systems.
- Reviews loss trends and develops action plans to correct problem areas.
- Gathers competitive and product information from the field.
- Represents company at trade associations and exhibits to promote corporate product.
- Conducts annual agency audits.
Additional Senior Business Development Consultant Responsibilities:
- Develops a strong relationship and partnership with the claims department.
- Negotiates and develops consultative agreements with specified agents.
- Develops and plans schedule for large account service plans with claims, loss control, premium audit, and other departments as needed.
- Provides input for agency advisory council meetings.
- Provides information for and participates in rate review process.
- Independent management of a field region or territory.
- Mentors Business Development Consultants.
- Assists in the development of regional goals.
- Presents at annual staff meetings
- Demonstrates leadership in the Business Development Consultant responsibilities.
EDUCATION OR EQUIVALENT EXPERIENCE:
Bachelor's degree in marketing, insurance or related field. Combinations of relevant education and experience may be considered in lieu of a degree. Continuous learning required, as defined by the Company's learning philosophy. Certification, or progress toward, highly preferred and encouraged. MBA or other advanced degree is preferred.
A minimum of five years experience in an insurance organization with demonstrated technical knowledge in one or more of the following areas: underwriting, marketing, loss prevention, auditing or similar knowledge that provide the necessary skills and abilities. Workers compensation or P&C insurance experience required.
SKILLS/KNOWLEDGE/ABILITIES (SKA) REQUIRED:
- Ability to exercise excellent judgment in evaluating and determining the proper pricing for prospective policyholders using corporate underwriting guidelines by accepting or rejecting risks for the purposes of issuing workers' compensation insurance coverage.
- Knowledge of occupational classification codes, loss ratios, claims histories, retention plan, scheduled rating related to workers compensation.
- Demonstrated ability to manage agency relationships.
- Demonstrated ability to make sound underwriting decisions.
- Thorough knowledge of appropriate jurisdictional workers compensation laws.
- Ability to calculate expected pricing, dividends, and premium quotations for agents and policyholders.
- Ability to analyze territory or region in order to identify problems and take the appropriate corrective action.
- Ability to comprehend the consequences of various problem situations and address them or refer them for appropriate decision making.
- Ability to assist management in the development and implementation of regional or territory goals
- Ability to effectively exchange information clearly and concisely, and present ideas, reports, facts and other information, and respond to questions as appropriate.
- Ability to communicate our value proposition as a carrier.
- Ability to be innovative and creative when presented with unique situations.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with the ability to effectively communicate with agents and policyholders.
- Ability to analyze and solve practical problems which deal with a variety of variables.
- Ability to make competent, independent decisions.
- Ability to understand and implement audit procedures and processes for agencies
Work is performed both in the office and in the field with minimal hazards. Travel is required with occasional overnight stays. May be required to lift and carry computer equipment and other marketing promotional items weighing up to 35 lbs. Relocation may be necessary. Must possess a valid driver's license with a record that meets corporate standards.
The qualifications listed above are intended to represent the minimum education, experience, skills, knowledge and ability levels associated with performing the duties and responsibilities contained in this job description.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. Diversity is valued and we will not tolerate discrimination or harassment in any form. Candidates for the position stated above are hired on an "at will" basis. Nothing herein is intended to create a contract.