Summary: The safety coordinator provides technical safety and health support to production and corporate personnel. Develops safety and health programs and objectives and coordinates safety training programs. Monitors safety and health regulations and provides technical support to plant and personnel to ensure compliance with federal and state safety and health regulations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Works closely with staff in engineering, human resources, legal, operations, and research and development.
- Provides technical safety and health support and information to production and corporate personnel.
- Prepares written safety and health programs and policies.
- Identifies company safety training needs and develops and coordinates safety training programs.
- Develops annual company safety and health goals.
- Participates in new product/process reviews, including process hazard analyses, operator training, etc.
- Supports corporate/plant engineering to implement engineering controls to minimize safety and occupational health hazards.
- Supports plant personnel in selection of appropriate personal protective equipment.
- Maintains corporate safety library (e.g., videos, regulations, reference manuals).
- Promotes safety and health awareness through internal company memoranda, newsletters and specific training programs.
- Serves as member of the executive environmental health and safety committee.
- Participates in company occupational safety and health committee.
- Assists as necessary in implementation of a hazard communication program and preparation of reports.
- Reviews process-operating procedures/records and provides input for safety and health considerations.
- Understands federal and state occupational safety and health regulations and monitors regulatory changes as they occur.
- Provides technical support to corporate and plant personnel to ensure compliance with applicable occupational safety and health regulations.
- Advises manufacturing plants and corporate staff of regulatory changes with which the plants must comply. Sufficient advance notice should be provided so that compliance on the effective date of new regulations is ensured.
- Audits practices and records of manufacturing plants to ensure compliance with company programs and federal/state occupational safety and health regulations.
- Monitors lost-time injuries/illnesses and worker’s compensation claims.
- Reviews plant safety committee meeting minutes and safety inspection reports and follows up as necessary.
- Reviews injury/illness and non injury incident investigation reports and follows up as necessary.
This position has no direct supervisory responsibilities, though management of the safety program includes directing safety related activities. Also serves as a coach and mentor for other positions in the department.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit. The employee is frequently required to talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and stoop, kneel, or crouch. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
We offer our employees a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package and are always looking for individuals with the talent and skills required to contribute to our continued growth and success. Equal Opportunity Employer.
Occupational Safety And Health
Material Safety Data Sheet