Grainger is a broad line, business-to-business distributor of maintenance, repair and operating (MRO) supplies and other related products and services. More than 3.2 million businesses and institutions worldwide rely on Grainger for products such as safety gloves, ladders, motors and janitorial supplies, along with services like inventory management and technical support. These customers represent a broad collection of industries including commercial, government, healthcare and manufacturing. They place orders online, on mobile devices, through sales representatives, over the phone and at local branches. Approximately 5,000 suppliers provide Grainger with more than 1.6 million products stocked in Grainger’s distribution centers and branches worldwide.
The Senior Administrative Assistant supports up to six Directors in the Merchandising and Supplier Management organization, providing a wide range of administrative support to the team by efficiently and effectively executing department/operational procedures and processes to help meet business objectives in a fast-paced environment.
Operates with general direction to provide an array of assistance; manages responsibilities with high degree of responsiveness and confidentiality.
Merchandising and Supplier Management is a keystone function at Grainger responsible for $4B in COGs annually and manages over one million product skus in Grainger’s product offering.
- Schedule meetings on behalf of Directors; coordinate with internal and external participants.
- Arrange all aspects of travel and manage travel logistics ensuring leader has necessary documentation for travel
- Complete expense reports for Directors adhering to Company Policies and following Administrative Procedures.
- Track departmental expenses and resolve/reconcile discrepancies on general ledger budget accounts. Process invoices and expense reports and reconcile departmental expenses according to the T&E policy.
- Coordinate meeting and event planning, organization, and execution; participate as available.
- Coordinate team member, manager, and leader Onboarding and Exits at the direction of the Directors.
- Support Company-initiated processes in the annual cycle and track compliance training.
- Maintain organizational documents.
- Act as first point of contact for general department inquiries, providing superior customer service and ensuring all incoming requests are prioritized and handled in a timely and professional manner.
- Open, sort, prioritize, and distribute all department mail and process outgoing mail. Act where appropriate.
- Answer telephone calls; take and deliver accurate messages. Respond to requests by gathering and providing information, referring non-routine calls to appropriate staff. Ask probing questions to respond effectively.
- Locate and gather information from the appropriate source to assist in resolving business issues. Pursue information that may not be readily available.
- Manage multiple paper and electronic documents including composing, modifying, proofreading, or disseminating; for instance, memos/letters, reports, PowerPoint presentations, SharePoint updates, surveys, organizational charts, or records management.
- Strategic management of office supplies ensuring stores are well-stocked with basic supplies; coordinate supplies distribution with an eye for managing cost.
- Support Leader execution of Recognition Events, contests/incentives/birthdays, etc. (maintain key milestones on leaders’ calendars; additional support as available)
- Provide substantive contributions to Administrative Assistant team including but not limited to training and onboarding, providing back-up support, and collaborating to achieve business objectives.
- Other duties as needed.
- Problem solver with a solution mindset; takes initiative; is proactive.
- Flexible, agile and interested in learning new technologies; Passion for learning and developing.
- Conveys essential information clearly and concisely, both in writing and verbally. Uses active listening skills while sharing information.
- Demonstrate ability to handle multiple projects and priorities yet be responsive to changes in those priorities. Demonstrate effective analytical skills to handle routine situations.
- Possess good attention to detail and the ability to proofread documents for correct grammar, spelling and punctuation.
- Organizational skills including prioritization of tasks and strong time management skills
- Able to adapt to different leadership styles.
- Positive attitude and professional behavior; acts with integrity; maintains confidentiality
- This role will continue to require strong and updated technical skills (e.g., online meetings, virtual discussions, intranet collaboration) to create efficiencies in workloads and partnership with virtual leaders and team members.
Preferred Education & Experience:
- High School diploma or equivalent, and three to five years of secretarial experience.
- Ability to type 50 WPM and proficiently use Microsoft Office: Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint. Able to learn and use other software as needed.
- Experience in a continuous change environment where quality improvement and organizational refinement is ongoing.
- Experience in a Fortune 500 company is a plus.
Grainger is an Equal Opportunity Workplace and an Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Attention To Detail