To begin the application process, please enter your email address.
Company Contact Info
- Hagerstown, MD
Sorry, we cannot save or unsave this job right now.
Report this Job
Saving Your Job Alert
Job Alert Saved!
Could not save Job Alert!
You have too many Job Alerts!
This email address has reached the maximum of 5 email alerts. To create a new alert, you will need to log into your email and unsubscribe from at least one.
Email Send Failed!
Specialty Granules LLC • Hagerstown, MD
Posted 24 days ago
Get facts about other applicants with a CareerBuilder Account
The Transportation Planner, is responsible for the Plants’ establishment and maintenance of a carrier base capable of meeting cost, service (reliability), and volume objectives, given changing future demand situations. This include managing all load tendering activities for their assigned Plants in a manner that ensures cost effective transportation of finished goods at service and volume levels that meet corporate objectives. This also includes ongoing communications and negotiation, with the established carriers, as well as prospecting for new carriers that add value and strengthen the established base. The Transportation Planner II will use computer applications to determine current and future shipping requirements, measure carrier performance, and manage shipment reliability.
The Transportation Planner should possess a high level of experience in the procurement of transportation services. This position requires an in depth knowledge of local transportation market to help GAF gain a competitive advantage by leading the procurement of the required transportation services at the lowest cost.
30-40% Responsible for the development and maintenance of a carrier base (truck and rail) (including the private fleet) capable of supporting forecasted shipping volumes into planned sales territories, as well as actively participating in efforts to expand the carrier base to meet sourcing changes and demand spikes caused by sales promotions, seasonal buys, weather related events etc., that meet all service, cost per cwt, and volume targets.
10-15% Tactically responsible for ensuring that orders are tendered through the Carrier Point TMS or manually and assigned for pickup on the appropriate ship date in a manner that service (reliability), cost, and volume goal targets are met or exceeded. This includes the responsibility of negotiating spot rates as necessary and adjusting the Carrier Point TMS to tender in the most efficient, cost effective manner. This includes Private Fleet loads where applicable.
10-15% Co-develop negotiations strategy with the Regional Transportation Manager and Plant Logistics Manager and negotiate contracts and agreements with motor carriers doing business with GAF.
5-10% Responsible for loading required documentation for new carriers/new rates in GAF systems in an accurate and timely manner.
5-10% Manage Shipment Demand through daily review of order intake against Plant and carrier capacities using established “Lane Cap” processes.
5-10% Identify and implement process improvements that reduce cost and improve customer service.
5-10% Perform other duties as assigned.
Technical knowledge/skills (entry, intermediate, advanced)
- Familiar with standard Manufacturing concepts, practices & procedures
- Intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and ERP systems (PS or SAP)
- Acquaintance with Warehouse Management Systems (WMS -RF)
- Intermediate knowledge of Transportation Management Systems (TMS) and software, such as web-based Carrier Point, Red Prairie, OTM
- Intermediate knowledge of the Transportation Industry (Truck & Rail)
- Intermediate knowledge of State and Federal Transportation Regulations
- Working knowledge of TMS
- Ability to read and concentrate via computer data entry typing and proofreading
- Must be able to climb ladders and/or stairs and walk on open grating on elevated surfaces
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions
- Required to reach with hands and arms and stoop, kneel, or crouch
- Frequent sitting, walking, and standing, and occasional climbing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, and balancing
- Frequent use of eye, hand, and finger coordination enabling the use of office machinery
- Oral and auditory capacity enabling interpersonal communication as well as communication through automated devices such as the telephone
- Required to sit, stand, walk, and use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools, or controls
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus
- Must continuously have the ability to differentiate colors precisely
- Occasionally operate business machines
- Regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally up to 50 pounds
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 3-5 years of Transportation/Logistics Experience
Relocation Assistance Available