[ Overview ]
As designated by the RN, administers medications in accordance with NJAC 8.36-9.3. Assists licensed nursing personnel in providing resident services by assisting residents with daily living activities, assisting with resident meals and maintaining the sanitation of residents’ living areas.
[ Responsibilities ]
[ Qualifications ]
- Provides considerate respectful care focused upon the Residents’ individual needs.
- Affirms the Resident’s right to make decisions regarding his/her medical care, including the decision to discontinue treatment, to the extent permitted by law.
- Demonstrates the ability to obtain information and interpret information in terms of the needs of the age of the Residents cared for.
- Demonstrates an understanding of the range of care needed based on the age of the Residents cared for.
- Demonstrates knowledge of growth, development and/or adult health throughout the life span as appropriate to the job performed.
- Successfully completes life-span education as appropriate.
- Provides Resident supervision and/or assistance during self-administration of medications and documents accurately.
- Demonstrates the capability to understand the medication actions of each drug being administered including potentially significant drug interactions, side effects, and potential interactions.
- Assists in personal Resident care and transfers as necessary.
- Assists with Resident meal services and participates in the maintenance of the nutritional and hydration needs of the Resident.
- Performs light housekeeping duties efficiently.
- Notifies nurse immediately of Residents having pain/discomfort.
- Verbalizes understanding that pain management is a priority to Resident and nurse.
- Accurately reports concerns or a change in Resident status to the RN/LPN.
Completion of a medication administration course approved by the State Board of Nursing and State Department of Health and Senior Services. High school graduate or equivalency and additional training or experience as a nursing assistant.
Related experience preferred.
Licenses and Certifications:
Medication Aide Certification/New Jersey required.
Required Knowledge and Skills:
Experience taking temperature, pulse and respiration are desirable. Strong professional, organizational, and interpersonal skills to effectively relate with all members of the healthcare team.
[ Physical Demands ]
Works in resident care areas with exposure to infectious diseases, dirt, dust and odors.
Daily potential for exposure to blood and/or body fluids.
Sitting – Rarely
Standing/Walking – Frequently
Kneeling/Stooping – Never
Bending/Climbing – Rarely
Reaching above shoulder, at waist or below waist – Occasionally
Lifting/Pushing or Pulling up to 40 pounds – Occasionally
Lifting/Pushing or Pulling over 40 pounds – Rarely
Typing/Filing – Never
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
[ Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion ]
CentraState Healthcare System prohibits discrimination based on arbitrary consideration of such characteristics such as race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, gender (including pregnancy), affectual or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, age, physical or mental disability or limitation, medical condition, genetic information, or veteran or military status, as well as any other legally protected class of persons and acts, in accordance with applicable State and Federal laws.
Licensed Practical Nurse
Registered Nurse Certified