Engineering Services Director
Director, Engineering Services for the Applied Research Laboratory at The Pennsylvania State University
Located in the heart of Happy Valley, State College, PA, The Applied Research Laboratory (ARL) at Penn State is an integral part of one of the leading research universities in the nation and serves as a University Center of Excellence in defense science, systems, and technologies. ARL is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion; we believe this is central to our success as a Department of Defense designated University Affiliated Research Center (UARC). We are at our best when we draw on the talents of all parts of society and our greatest accomplishments are achieved when diverse perspectives are part of our workforce.
The Engineering Services Director oversees the Engineering Services Division and reports to the ARL Deputy Director for the overall management of the ARL physical plant and research infrastructure. The ARL physical plant comprises 15 buildings (including specialized test facilities) located in State College, PA, as well as 11 buildings and specialized test facilities located across the country, totaling over 750,000 square feet. ARL's research facilities and infrastructure are key enablers to successfully supporting contract research and development awards of over $300 million in 2018.
This position is a key member of the ARL Leadership Team, and additional duties include the development of long-term strategy for research facilities, experimental and computing support infrastructure, and the overall management of design, fabrication, safety, and facilities functional areas.
Employment at ARL at Penn State includes many benefits and rewards, including:
• Professional development
• Career advancement opportunities
• 75% Tuition discount for you and your family
• Safe and diverse community
• College sporting event mecca
• World-Class entertainment facilities and events
• Cultural events
• Good public education system
• Activities for all stages of your life
YOUR Responsibilities Include…
• Engineering Services operations (including budget development and management responsibility) for ARL, which includes the direction and management of the following functions: Mechanical and electrical design; fabrication; facilities (physical plant); and safety
• Provide leadership for strategic planning: Collaborate with ARL senior leadership to identify strategic priorities and directions; oversee the planning and implementation process for assigned functions; and coordinate and provide consultation for ARL unit planning efforts for functional needs that support research operations
• Coordinate work priorities for hardware design and fabrication, facilities support, and special projects: Develop and manage budgets to execute projects; and oversee operation and rate request development for assigned cost centers
• Establish and maintain appropriate procedures within Engineering Services functional areas to meet ARL System Engineering program requirements: Implement necessary security procedures for integrity of the digital thread and hardware; and convene advisory groups as necessary to represent projected Laboratory technical needs
• Coordinate engineering operations interface with other units within ARL, the University, and outside businesses, and ensure compliance with applicable government regulations
• Coordinate with ARL leadership on physical space allocations, design reviews for renovations or new facilities, construction impacts on operations and maintenance, and requests for utility and network services: Prepare options and recommendations for the ARL Director; create and update an ARL master campus plan; and facilitate laboratory instrumentation and equipment recapitalization
• Coordinate development and execution of building or space facility use agreements, leases, and acquisitions working with University Real Estate Services, Office of General Counsel, and the ARL Business Services Office
• Hire, supervise, train, and evaluate assigned staff
• Establish and monitor annual goals and objectives; oversee funding and manpower planning; and recommend and implement changes as needed
• Serve on various committees and perform analyses as requested
What YOU Need to be Successful…
Education: A Master's degree (PhD preferred) in an engineering discipline or a related field
• Broad knowledge of research and development facilities, engineering, and testing infrastructure requirements
• Professional engineer licensure
• At least 10 years of experience involving the management of complex physical plants in an advanced research and development environment
• Significant professional and administrative experience in a research and development environment
• Demonstrated successful leadership in a senior level position in a highly technical environment
• Experience in a unionized setting
• Strong negotiation and analysis skills
• Excellent verbal and written communications skills
• Excellent presentation skills
• Eligibility to possess a DoD security clearance
• As part of the selection process, finalist candidates will be asked to develop and deliver a short presentation answering the prompt: How does your experience make you a strong candidate for the position of ARL Engineering Services Director, and why are you interested in the position?
You will be subject to a government security investigation and you must be a U.S. citizen to apply. Due to the financial or fiduciary responsibilities of this position, successful completion of a credit history check will also be required, in addition to standard background checks. Employment with the Applied Research Laboratory will require successful completion of a pre-employment drug screen.
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION on other positions at ARL, visit our web site at http://www.arl.psu.edu
Apply online at https://apptrkr.com/1461829
CAMPUS SECURITY CRIME STATISTICS: For more about safety at Penn State, and to review the Annual Security Report which contains information about crime statistics and other safety and security matters, please go to http://www.police.psu.edu/clery/, which will also provide you with detail on how to request a hard copy of the Annual Security Report.
Penn State is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer, and is committed to providing employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.