8:00 to 5:00
Rated as one of the Top 25 Best Hospitals to Work for in the U.S., the heart of LMC is our 508-bed modern state-of-the-art facility. Winning the prestigious, 'Summit Award' from Press Ganey for outstanding patient satisfaction, 'Consumer Choice Award' from the National Research Corporation, all contributing to our reputation for giving our patients the highest quality care. Lexington Medical Center was voted one of South Carolina’s “Best Places to Work” for 2019!
We are located in heart of the Midlands, right outside of Columbia, SC, and one of the most successful integrated healthcare systems in the Southeast. As the third largest employer in the Midlands, we invite you to be a part of our ongoing success and join our LMC Family.
Plans, organizes, and directs multiple facets of facility services. This
includes determining the direction of all operations for the Engineering
and Environmental Services for Lexington Health Services District.
Facilitates an efficient program in order to maintain an aseptic,
aesthetic, functional, and safe environment throughout the hospital. The
individual in this role is responsible for the management and technical
direction of the Hospital's Engineering, Construction, Maintenance,
Landscaping, Biomedical, Environmental Services, Safety and Property
Management Divisions. Establishes standards, methods, and schedules for
these groups. Responsible for Financial & Resource Management results,
Satisfaction Survey results for areas of responsibility, Quality &
consistency of services delivered and promoting and maintaining a positive,
quality of worklife for staff as demonstrated by low turnover.
Minimum Education: B.S. in Electrical or Mechanical Engineering OR
Management in Business related Degree plus experience (2 years as Assistant
Director of either Environmental Services or Engineering or 5 years of
experience in business management role)
Minimum Years of Experience: 7 Years of work experience (3 years should be
in a supervisory capacity)
Substitutable Education & Experience: Combination of 10 years combined
education and experience.
Required Certifications/Licensure: None.
Required Training: Knowledge of Building and Architectural Design Codes,
DHEC, DNV,NFPA or JCAHO and other regulatory requirements;
Thoroughly knowledgeable in all phases of actual work performed in the
- Plan, develop, organize, implement, evaluate, and direct the Engineering, and Environmental Services/Groundskeeping departments, their programs and activities.
- Develop and maintain written departmental policies and procedures.
- Develop and maintain written job descriptions and performance evaluations for each level of Environmental Services and Engineering personnel in accordance with LMC's Human Resource’s guidelines.
- Assists the staff in the development and use of departmental policies, procedures, equipment, supplies, etc. Administrative authority, responsibility, and accountability of directing the day to day operations of the departments.
- This position is responsible for developing, implementing and monitoring safety programs and initiatives for the Lexington Health Services District.
- Coordinate Environmental Services and Engineering department’s services and activities with other related departments (i.e., Nutritional Services, Nursing, Physician Network Services Activities, etc.).
- Responsible for district facility operations through supervision of the Assistant Director, Engineering Manager, Biomedical Manager, Maintenance Manager, Grounds Manager and Property Manager.
- Maintenance of an optimistic, professional, career oriented demeanor (positive role model) as a leader within this area at Lexington Medical Center. Exemplifies excellent customer relations towards patients, visitors, physicians, and coworkers. Holds themselves and subordinates accountable for conformity to Service Excellence Policy and 'House Rules'.
- Directs and coordinates the activities of the construction division.
- Responsible for coordinating employee resources as necessary to meet commitments and special needs.
- Responsible for the establishment of priority and timeframes for completion of projects as defined by LMC's Administrative Team.
- Responsible for the appearance and maintenance of district facilities and grounds.
- Responsible for planning, preparation of budgets and division reports.
- Ensures standard of operations as required by DNV, The Joint Commission, DHEC, Insurance Carriers, and other regulatory agencies.
- Responsible for the planning, approval, budgeting and execution of contract construction projects.
- Prepares and presents proposals and project updates to LMC Board Committees and Full Board on a regular basis.
- Reports regularly to Vice President.
- Works closely with other directors and administration on planning and development efforts in order to foster good communication and coordination.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Acting LMC representative with all outside professional organizations and companies in areas of responsibility.
- Provides administrative oversight and management for all buildings which LMC owns or leases.
- Participates in the planning activities, policy formulation and procedural development with other department managers and administration.
- Available for emergency call-back situations.
- Maintains working knowledge of all building systems and keeps abreast of changes, problems, and ongoing work.
- Serves as point of contact for identification, selection, management and coordination of all facility consultants including architects, engineers, land use planners, interior design and specialty consultants.
- Performs responsible professional and administrative work organizing and coordinating environmental sustainability efforts for the Health System.
- Identifies and recommends implementation of programs and incentives to reduce emissions, improve recycling and waste reduction efforts through innovation and staff development.
- Produces annual progress reports and plan updates; develops and updates timelines and milestones to guide the implementation; tracks and reports relevant data; maintains a database of knowledge on waste reduction and sustainability programs.
- Responsible for the oversight of the maintenance and landscaping of outdoor areas and facilities.
- Oversees the use of tractors and other mechanical equipment used in maintaining the hospital’s grounds and parking areas.
- Coordinates the on-going, organization-wide system of information collection and evaluation in order to identify deficiencies and opportunities for improvement relative to the DNV Physical Environment standards.
- Prepares findings, recommendations, actions taken, and disseminates results of performance improvement (PI) activities for areas of responsibility to include the Safety Committee.
- Works with clinical and facility administrators to develop safety policies and procedures for review and approval by LMC's Safety, CIPIT and PIC Committees.
- Actively participates in safety management and planning as chairman of the Safety Committee.
- Develops and implements, in coordination with the Human Resources Department, the Physical Environment (General Safety) and Life Safety Compliance orientation for new employees, and a continuing educational training program regarding PE and Life Safety Code issues for all staff.
- Documents situations and trends and plans for remediation of situations that present risk, including such matters as the disposal and tracking of hazardous waste.
- Prepares and submits reports concerning findings, recommendations, actions, and monitoring activities to the EC committee on a bi-monthly basis, or as requested by the Environment of Care Quality Improvement Committee;
- Performs all other duties as assigned or as required in an emergency, e.g., fire or disaster.
We are committed to offering quality, cost-effective benefits choices for our employees and their families:
- Day ONE medical, dental and life insurance benefits
- Health care and dependent care flexible spending accounts (FSAs)
- Eligible employees may also enroll in LMC's retirement plans on their date of hire, including the South Carolina State Retirement System (SCRS)
- Supplemental 401(k)
- 457(b) retirement plans
- Free life insurance – equal to 1x salary
- Adoption assistance
- 401(K) Match – LMC matches dollar for dollar up to 6%
- LMC provides its full-time employees short-term disability and long-term disability coverage after 90 days of eligible employment
- 529 College Savings
- Tuition reimbursement
- Student loan forgiveness
Equal Opportunity Employer
It is the policy of LMC to provide equal opportunity of employment for all individuals, and to remain compliant with applicable state and federal laws and regulations. LMC strives to provide a discrimination-free environment, and to recruit, select, on-board, and employ all employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, disability, national origin, veteran status, or pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions, including but not limited to, lactation. LMC endeavors to upgrade and promote employees from within the hospital where possible and consistent with the employee’s desires and abilities and the hospital’s needs.